Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Dealing with differences in views of 'sex'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dealing with differences in views of 'sex'
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not happy about being in town (4th largest in the US) and the conservative attitude amongst people here. Even thought I have some good friends here (I guess they are good acquaintances) , we don't really or shouldn't really talk about ideology because of the differences. The people here are also so tied to their own system that they don't know what it is like to go outside of their upbringing and think about things deeply.

These people think that the only kind of "real" sex is PIV. And if I masturbate, I'm not "having sex" and if I buy a vibrator, I am "close to stimulating 'real sex' "

I am just unhappy and pissed at this attitude yet want to respect others. I like their friendship but how can you truly be friends with someone with this mental gap?

I realize that I can't expect the world to think like me, and that those are my thoughts and beliefs.

Any thoughts on how you guys deal with these attidutes that seem to permeate most of the world?

[ 07-09-2011, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: breath ]

Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, the best thing I can suggest is to not talk about sex all that much these people. In that way you can agree to disagree and try to avoid those topics.

That works with friends, but it's trickier with partners. Personally, I think that I can only be involved with partners who have a similar perspective to mine on these sorts of things.

Too, if you're in the city I think you're in, you *can* find more liberal folks to hang out with. They may be harder to find, but you might have some luck looking into common interest groups (and google can be a great resource for that!).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that!
Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janet R 1974
Neophyte
Member # 71374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janet R 1974     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a mom with two teen daughters and I've always told them that their own sexual preferences should be between them and their partners. Not everyone will agree on your attitudes and belief towards sex and it's sometimes better just to keep your own personal feelings a private matter. Good luck!
Posts: 6 | From: Tenn | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

You are right. Well said.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.