Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Pregnancy Worry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Worry
cozy_322
Neophyte
Member # 57456

Icon 11 posted      Profile for cozy_322     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a topic regarding this topic on the "ask an expert" portion of the message boards. I realize that there is a thread on here as well regarding pregnancy scares. Though it's last post was a while ago.
I'm just looking to maybe get input from others who have been in my situation.
Heather replied to my post and told me I really didn't have a risk for pregnancy and with all the evidence she used to back it up, I have to say it helped a lot. I just wanted to see if there were others out there in such a situation.
In January, I had my last period. That same month, my boyfriend fingered me. Since then I have yet to have my period. I've been worried about being pregnant yet I've had 3 negative pregnancy tests. I'm just a constant worrier. I met with a doctor at my local health department who told me that my worrying could be the issue for my period problems. She said I didn't really have much of a pregnancy risk since in order to get pregnant by way of fingering, his finger would have to have been literally dripping with ***. She also told me that if I don't have a period by April to come back and they would start me on Prevera to get me back in the swing of things.
Just curious if this or a similar situation has happened to anyone else.
Input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! [Smile]

[ 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: cozy_322 ]

Posts: 6 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
May Day
Activist
Member # 39174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for May Day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cozy_322, you've already been given an answer by Heather: you didn't have a pregnancy risk (no really, you didn't), you've had three negative pregnancy tests, you are NOT pregnant.

I suggest you talk to an in-person counsellor who can help you manage your anxiety.

Posts: 172 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cozy_322
Neophyte
Member # 57456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cozy_322     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I appreciate your input on the situation, I wasn't looking for more reassurance regarding the topic. I was just trying to see if there were others out there in any similar situations wishing to talk about it.
Posts: 6 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I can't say I've shared this experience -- I've never had concerns about pregnancy when a) I hadn't had the kind of sex that causes pregnancy and b) after negative tests, even though you haven't gotten responses here yet from users who have, you're not alone in this. We've had lots of users in this spot.

usually the why of that is about either a) people not having enough education to understand how pregnancy happens, for real, and how effective tests are, b) people having anxiety around pregnancy or sex in general or both. We can help with the first if you still need more information, but when it comes to the second, there's not much we can do. However, you can always talk to a counselor or doctor about anxiety to see if they can help, as they sometimes can.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lillith Ambrose
Activist
Member # 64807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lillith Ambrose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey cozy!

I've been kind of in the same place (only I did have sex and we did use protection and nothing went wrong.) and I totally get how you're feeling.

Me personally, I'm just waiting for my period. Like Heather said, if you didn't do anything that could result in getting pregnant, then you shouldn't be worried. I've just been looking online and I also took a HPT that came back negative and now I'm patiently awaiting my period.

It helped me to just find as much evidence that I could that proved that I wasn't pregnant and now I'm feeling much better and I'm laughing at myself for being so worried over nothing. I definitely think you're going to be fine hun.

--------------------
(-/)

Posts: 61 | From: USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soprano
Neophyte
Member # 65976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soprano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to be paranoid about pregnancy. I remember when I had a pregnancy scare with my boyfriend.

The logical part of me thought I could be, but the medical part of me insisted it wasn't possible.

I'd had sex, but we used a condom. I got my period that month, however the next month I missed it.

The other users on this board are right, however I completely understand your paranoia. It's so easy to develop anxiety.

You should also know that stressing out can cause your period to be late. Try to take it easy and relax.

Hope this helps! [Smile]

Posts: 26 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.