Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I can't do it, guys.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can't do it, guys.
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astrocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I don't know if this is something that is supposed to fall within the realm of Scarleteen, so feel free to take it down, mods).

Anyone out there who deals with stress by procrastinating madly? I have this assignment which isn't especially hard or long and isn't worth a lot in percentage terms. It's now three days late, and losing 20% per day. It isn't a huge deal for my grade for the paper if I don't do it. But it ought to be totally within my capability to just spend a couple of hours, finish it mediocrely and hand it in late.

I feel like that would probably be a good step to take towards not behaving like this in the future, but I'm really scared that I just CAN'T do it, as in, I lack the willpower. I have been going around telling myself "look, all you need to do is..." for awhile now. It isn't happening. I think partly this is because I would rather not hand in anything than hand in something that isn't good, which isn't the most helpful philosophy when it's too late to do something good. I'm meant to be on mid-semester break but I'm spending my days procrastinating but not doing anything I actually want to do. Does anyone else get themselves into situations like this? Strategies?

Posts: 79 | From: the southern hemisphere | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey rosegeranium. This is actually outside of the scope of the site, so in future, it might be more appropriate at another forum. A couple things I can suggest here, though, is just talking to your professor. Everyone gets this way from time to time. You psych yourself out, thinking, "This is going to be the best paper ever!" And then you forget about it, or you put it off, and the deadline looms closer and you realize you can't write anything decent in such a short period of time so you keep telling yourself you'll get to it later but you continue to put it off because now you feel you MUST write an amazing paper and you have even less time to do it in.

*ahem* Anyway, it happens. At this point, it's best to just write something even if it's not that good, even if it sounds like something a fourth grader would write before even learning what a paragraph is. Most professors prefer that you just turn something in rather than never turn a paper in or turn it in very very late. If this happens a lot, then you may want to see if your school has a tutoring center that you can see about time management.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astrocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, everyone. I tend to think of this site as *go-to place for problems that I feel like are impacting my health in some way* and I realise that this really is overly broad. Thanks for your suggestions, orca.
Posts: 79 | From: the southern hemisphere | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.