Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Cigarettes & Nerves !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cigarettes & Nerves !
laylaminto
Neophyte
Member # 47193

Icon 4 posted      Profile for laylaminto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been smoking for around 3-4 months now , my boyfriend is a smoker, and ever since i got with him ive constantly been smoking. I made the decision to smoke but i really REALLY want to stop. I suffer with nerves and I had a cigarette at dinner time which made me feel extremely dizzy. I had to sit down and found my self stumbling across the road.
My job doesnt like cigerette breaks which doesnt make it easy. I usually smoked on the night but because im not seeing my boyfriend much, Im feeling lost during the night. I was wondering whether anyone has been through this ? Im 17 im not really supposed to be smoking and im on the pill ! Has anyone got any tips, the withdrawl symptoms are horrible too.

Posts: 39 | From: Sunderland | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, having only smoked for a few months the withdrawal symptoms are seriously minimal. With every month or year you keep smoking, they will get worse. If you think they're horrible now, just you wait. Or better still, don't: do yourself a favor and quit while they're really not. Also, know that it's only about 72 hours of them you have to get through, then they'll be all gone.

So, quitting this early actually should not be that difficult, particularly compared to how hard it will get if you continue. Best bet? Talk to your doctor about this and they can help you figure out your best strategy. You can also ask your boyfriend not to smoke around you to help support you in qutting.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laylaminto
Neophyte
Member # 47193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laylaminto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou for the quick reply !
Its horrible , ive only been smoking for that amount of time and im starting to feel lost even now without one. Im trying to overcome nerves and depression. Ive recently just started a new job too , ad i really want a fresh start !
So it will aprox take 72 hours for the cravings to stop ? I think I could do that, I only have one more day at work tomorrow and im off for the weekend so that is my goal!
I just really dont like the look either , I found myself trying to hide the fact that I was smoking the other day , because ive never really smoked in public ots always been over my boyfriends. Can Smoking trigger nerves ?

Posts: 39 | From: Sunderland | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Withdrawal symptoms generally only last for around 72 hours, especially with such a brand-new smoker.

Smoking raises your heart rate, so by all means, it can make someone with anxiety feel even more.

Again, if you have trouble quitting and have access to healthcare, it's really sage to talk to a doctor. They have great tools that can help, and can help you figure out a quit plan that can best work for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laylaminto
Neophyte
Member # 47193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laylaminto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well thats good news haha ! Lastnight at around 9:00pm I had one.... and its now 8:20pm ! But , I havnt seen my boyfriend yet. I really just wanted to talk to someone because my parents dont actually know, they are starting to get suspitious, and i know they wouldnt be proud of me. Im just really scared of putting on weight !
Heather
Member # 3

Again, you JUST started smoking. If you had been smoking for years and years, weight gain MIGHT be an issue, but you haven't been, so it's really not at all likely.

And if you're concerned about your weight, smoking isn't sound weight management. You can instead just easily up your daily activity: take an extra walk, learn some yoga, drive or bus less, etc. That IS sound and also benefits your health.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

laylaminto
Neophyte
Member # 47193

Im not really bothered about my weight its just i think food is the only other thing i am going to be able to result to . I am going to see my dr soon and ask him to help aswell. [Big Grin]
I smoked alot through the day sometimes it would be around 20 cigarettes or sometimes only 5 so t varied depending on whether my boyfriend had any ! Thankyou for your help [Big Grin]
I am going to continue to try my best and also keep you updated ! [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

When you say food is the only other thing you are going to be able to resort to, what do you mean? resort to for what?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

laylaminto
Neophyte
Member # 47193

Whenever I feel stressed or nervous I think "Im going to have a ciggarette, that will calm me down" because when I get really nervous and all shakey I think my body needs nicotine.
Heather
Member # 3

Well, again, this is a) only something you have been doing for a little while, and b) not a sound way to calm yourself down, especially given it's something that actually revs your heart up.

Sounds like when talking to your doc about quitting smoking, it might be a good idea to also talk about how to manage stress and anxiety too, okay?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.