Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Natural Disasters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Natural Disasters
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night there were tornadoes in my area. My family and I are okay, thankfully, and our home didn't incur any damages. It's not the first time there have been tornadoes or severe weather in this area. I live along the Gulf Coast, so hurricanes and thunderstorms are pretty common. However, it was the first time in all the years we've lived here that a tornado warning was issued for our neighborhood.

Natural disasters can be very frightening, especially ones that have very little or no warning. I felt an intense fear last night, as I was covering my head and holding onto my dogs so they wouldn't be hurt, while listening to the weather channel for updates on the location of the tornado. It's a fear that comes with the realization that everything in your life can be taken away in a moment. Not just your life, but your home, your family, your pets, even your sense of security.

Those of you who have experienced natural disasters, how did you feel during it and in the aftermath of it? Any stories of personal experiences you'd like to share? If anyone is still feeling shaken over a natural disaster, please feel free to talk about it here.

For those of you still suffering some anxiety in the aftermath of a natural disaster, counselling can be very helpful in coping and dealing with the stress of it. Your school counsellors can be a good place to start, though, of course, if anyone needs help finding a therapist in their area, we'd be glad to assist in the search.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Im glad to hear that you and your family are ok, Orca. I hope you continue to stay safe.

I remember visiting Sri Lanka during the boxing day tsunami in 2004. There were 35,000 deaths just in our country. Luckily, no immediate family members were affected. But many extended relatives and friends of friends lost their lives and livelihood. I was fortunate that I was not in a coastal area at the time.

I also remember returning home and feeling very helpless to offer anything and a kind of 'survivor guilt' as well. You find yourself thinking, "Why do I deserve to live when all these innocent people died?" I guess we all work out our own answers to that one...

"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 29206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for not_a_hobgoblin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Indiana, and so I was a semi-witness of the terrible flooding there this summer. My family, my house, my part of town was fine, but it was deeply surreal... there I was, staring out my window at what had turned into the kind of golden summer afternoon that only seems to come after a storm, and people were being boat-evacuated from their homes literally about four miles south of me. Our whole family was a little shaken about it for days. My parents and I had similar reactions- my parents actually went out driving that day to check on our lake property about 45 minutes away (and their adventures to try to find a way back home as waters kept rising were rather frightening), and they had to take pictures of the flood waters. While they were gone, I called all of my friends that I knew were in flood-prone areas and made sure they were okay... and then took that information and mapped out a detour route to go visit my girlfriend. I needed to see that she was okay- and see the floodwaters near her house. Just to verify that this was actually happening.

"Cut her down."
"She is a witch!"
"But she's our witch. Cut her down."

Posts: 174 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.