Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Scared of exams

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared of exams
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys... I'm about to sit this really tough exam... just wanted to share. I'm scared I'll flunk it... and I just want to stay in medschool so bad. Wish me luck [Smile] I'll come back and report to say how I went...
Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Go well, smokey :) You can do it!
(If someone like me can pass all her med school exams and emerge relatively unscathed....well, I'm sure you can too!)

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. [Smile]
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thehiddenone
Activist
Member # 39654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thehiddenone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, I'm sure you'll pass! [Smile]

Megan xx

[ 10-30-2008, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Rollerchick8 ]

Posts: 108 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey [Smile] Did it... was pretty difficult... hopefully went well.. now to knuckle down for the next one. I'm finding that my stress and anxiety tend to get the better of me. Not really sure what to do... I've seen a doctor and a counsellor... but I'm worrying now that it's impacting badly on the relationship I have with my boyfriend.
Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

I have 3 days to study for the next one and I'm starting to freak out again...
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Hye smokey, I don't know if that's something you are already doing, but how about trying to study in advance for your exams so you don't get caught up with time when the exams period comes ? This could help relieve your stress a bit and could even help you perform better on exams.

I know myself I tend to perform better/be more productive under stress so studying in advance (like months/weeks in advance) for exams isn't something I'll usually do but for some people stress can really interfere with their studying and they tend to be less productive under stress and in this situation, studying in advance might help.

Too, I think you'll get used to it. If your program is similar to mine, after you've had like one entire week or two of exams every few months for two-three years in which you had only a few days between each exam to study the bunch of study materials that the test covers, most people get use to it and tell themselves that if they passed their previous tests, it isn't very likely to be very different for the other ones. The people who make the exam generally know that we don't have a hell of a lot of time to study for the exams, especially when you happen to have classes during your study period and you're only left with a few full days to study and I think they take that into consideration.

Also, I've found that it helps to take small breaks during your study period so you can better concentrate after. Too, with time, you'll likely find what works best for you. If this can reassure you, I remember when I first started, like for my first exams, I was very stressed but it's gotten a lot better since with time.

[ 11-02-2008, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Yeah I just totally freak. I'm a great student... not so sure about it this year though. I think it might just be the transition from year 12 to university also... I mean I have always generally found schoolwork easy enough... but this year it has been to the extent that it's a little overwhelming and possibly the hardest thing I have ever undertaken.

I know that I'm productive under stress but the thing is that I find that stress uncomfortable... I mean I would sacrifice a few marks here and there just so that I could take away some of the pressure... because it all gets to be too much a lot of the time which isn't really a great way for me to be living my life I think. I just want to be able to take everything difficult in my stride but it's like I can't anymore... as in it has gotten to the stage where when I'm faced with something difficult to do I usually spend about an hour sort of frozen in fear and anxious about it, rather than just getting it underway.

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a school counselor at your school that could help you manage your stress, give you useful tips ? This could really help.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.