Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » help...university problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help...university problem
Rae**
Neophyte
Member # 35857

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Rae**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just needed some advice or support. Today should have been the start of my second year exams which I didn't take the first time round because of depression. I tried so hard for these and did as much as I could but I've been so panicked and anxious about them. I tried to calm down and I just thought i'd give it a go, but I got into the exam this morning, I opened the paper and my mind was just blank. I had the most horrible panic attack, i've never had one before, but this was horrible my heart was just pounding and everything went all blurry. I know now why people confuse them for heart attacks. So I had to leave.

Basically now it means that I can't do my others this time and I have to wait till next May to try again. I'm feeling really weird, its kind of like relief as yesterday I felt like I wanted to die my depression hit a new low, but i'm also feeling really upset because I feel like i've failed, like maybe I should have tried to stay in the exam a bit longer, maybe I would have calmed down?

I'm sorry I don't really know what i'm asking, I think I just need reassurring that this happens to others as well and that I didn't just ruin my chances of finishing my degree.

Posts: 7 | From: Reading | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rae: I’m sorry you’re having such a tough time with taking your exams. As an education major with another praxis test just around the corner I understand how frightening the situation can feel. The first place you really need to go is to meet with your advisor. You want to make sure they understand how this test makes you feel and they can give you some ideas on how to prepare in a more structured way for this. They’re also the one that can help get you on track with everything else you need to graduate. It may also help you to speak with a counselor that works for the school. One of the main things that they work with students for is anxiety related to classes, assignments, and tests.

Additionally, do you happen to know if there’s a preparation course for your test? A lot of times going to a prep course where you take a pre-test that’s set up like the real test can give you a better idea of the environment and rules surrounding taking the test. This play acting in preparation for the real test helps a lot of people to become comfortable with the idea of taking the test and what types of things they’ll be asking.

One of the biggest things is before you even open your book you need to breathe. Take a few deep calming breaths and tell yourself “I’ve prepared, and I can do this.” Once you open your test the first part is your name and information – which is always first to help ease students. After all – who knows better than us our name, right?

Study Guides and Strategies has a nice set-up of information about working through test anxiety. It's actually a site recommended by my University for all freshmen to read prior to taking a test in their first class. I still find it extremely helpful three years later. There's different sections linked at the top so taking a run through the site as a whole may be helpful to you.

[ 08-27-2008, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rae**
Neophyte
Member # 35857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rae**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I spoke to the examinations officer for my law school, he said I should take the year out and do my exams next May. He already knows that I had them deferred the first time so he went through all the options. I could have applied to re-do the year but the faculty don't think i'm healthy enough so they want me to wait. I think i'm okay with this, i've been thinking about it for a few hours and I spoke to a friend on my course. I'm calmer now, still disappointed but I think its for the best.

We can get practise exam papers to do, I think I will take some of those before my next attempt. Yeah the deep breathing is a good idea and I tried very hard to do that but I was already panicking before I got to my desk. Ahh thank you so much for the link, I think that will really help for next time. And I think I will have to think seriously about going back to my counsellor or finding someone else because my depression has got a lot worse over the past month.

Thank you for replying.

Posts: 7 | From: Reading | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rae: As long as you are okay with waiting the year – it might actually be a lot of help for you to do so. A year is a lot of time, and in that year you can work through relaxed studying and really have a chance to work on test anxiety. Maybe this year is just what you need to really take the test into hand and become comfortable with it.

Definitely taking practice tests can help you assure you that you’re comfortable with the test. Sounds like you’re really seeing in light what you need and want to do for yourself, and we’re here to support you in any way that we can.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.