Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Best Friend in Psychiatric Hospital

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Friend in Psychiatric Hospital
Al2026
Neophyte
Member # 39938

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Al2026     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend is in a Psychiatric Hospital and I've never been more scared in my life. She and I both have really bad anxiety disorders. However she has stomach conditions that are aggravated by her anxiety. On Sunday night she texted me and told me she was going to the ER because of her stomach. This made me a little nervous but she said she was just going to get medication and that she would call me when she was finished. The next day I found out that she had been taken by ambulance from the Hospital in my town to a Psychiatric Hospital about 10 miles away. I went visit her and the doctors don't really know what's wrong. Her mom was there and the 3 of us just sat on a couch. Her mom and I were both holding her and I was trying to talk but her mom had tears in her eyes and it took all the strength that I ever had in my life not to cry too. She and I both went to the same high school and we both have had very bad experiences there. I am in College now but she is still in HS. I was taking her to get her registration all squared away last week and that's when she started vomiting and having stomach problems. Then a few days later, this. I thought she had a nervous breakdown that caused a bleeding ulcer or something. She had them when she was a baby. When I talk to her she tells me that the doctors still don't know what's wrong and it's the 4th day now. We've always told each other EVERYTHING! Like she has even told me (a guy) about her gynecological issues. We are like brother and sister (in fact that's what we call each other). The last 4 days have been the worst I can ever remember in my life. I haven't been able to sleep and I've been so anxious and sometimes depressed. I have been prescribed Xanax for my anxiety but it does absolutely nothing to alleviate how I'm feeling at all. In fact it seems like it makes me sick now. I've cried so much that I feel like I have no tears left to cry. I've talked to her on the telephone a few times since then but it's so hard for me to call her. I feel like there's something serious that she's not telling me because she thinks I can't handle it because of my anxiety. Her mom is supposedly FINALLY going to meet with whoever is caring for her today and she said she would call me as soon as she had the straight story and she knew when my BFF could come home. I really don't have anyone to talk to. Guys don't really like to talk about these things and I don't really have any other friends who I can talk to on this level. So, I came here. I've been visiting off and on for years but I never, ever thought I would actually post anything. Whatever advice you have would be REALLY appreciated in this extremely dark, painful, and anxious time for me.

--------------------
-Al

Posts: 1 | From: Coronado, CA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al, I'm so sorry about your friend. This must be quite rough for you. You're very welcome to talk about this here all you want, and you know, it really is okay for anyone of any sex or gender to talk about something they're worried about. It's perfectly normal and quite healthy to talk about it.

How about talking with her mother? Do you think you'd want to do that? It sounds like she could use some support just as much as you, so maybe you two could provide that for one another. You could also see about putting together something special for your friend like a card, video, cd, just anything that you think might help her to know that she has people who care about her and are hoping that she gets better.

It's also sounding like you aren't doing very well yourself in all of this. Do you have a therapist you see regularly for your anxiety problems that you could talk to?

So what are some of your concerns here? Is there any information we can provide you with?

[ 08-21-2008, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: orca ]

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al, I hope your friend gets better. It seems like you are really worried about her. In the meantime, it is important that you are taking care of yourself too. Isn't that what she would want? It sounds like you are a great friend and really want the best for her, but don't forget about your own health as well.

I agree with orca. If you don't think that you are comfortable talking to another friend about this, how about a counselor. They deal especially with tough issues that you might not want to tell anyone else. Or even a trust adult, like a teacher or your parents. Sometimes just having someone to listen can take a great weight off your shoulders.

You say that you've been crying a lot. What are some activities that you usually like to do? Have you been not doing those activities (exercising, going out to a favorite restaurant, reading a book) because of your anxiety? While it might be hard at first, sometimes preoccupying your mind for awhile might make you feel better.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.