Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Weight: How to Love Your Body!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight: How to Love Your Body!
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I went away to college this year and literally gained the freshman 15 (o.k. so maybe it was the freshman 10). I've been a competitive swimmer all my life, so I've never really watched my weight, but now it's just out of control because I've stopped swimming. I feel really self-conscious about myself and it's starting to affect my life. I don't go see my friends because of it. It doesn't help that my mom tells me I'm fat all the time. Based on BMI indexes, I AM bordering on overweight because I'm a little bit under the maximum BMI for healthy bodies.

I'm usually a really positive person, so it's sad something like this can get to me. What do you guys do to battle this body image thing?

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, if you've been a swimmer all your life, I really doubt that 10 pounds has somehow made you be unhealthy, or that you're now almost overweight. BMI scales online and such are only so helpful: if you still swim or only recently have stopped, it's not likely you went from a healthy BMI to one that could be trouble.

So, a lot of weight charts and the like come from insurance companies and tend to be pretty limited.

A ten pound weight difference is so minor: some women even gain and lose five pounds each month only with menstruation. Why do you think ten pounds is such a huge deal? How are you feeling, in your body, not in your ideas about it? Why do you think it even matters to friends what any of us weight, and how is socially isolating yourself benefitting you?

If your Mom is telling you that you're fat, then that's a big problem, but not one with your weight: one with your Mom. I'd suggest you ask her not to tell you that and let her know how it effects you when she does.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did tell her yesterday and things have been better. I actually didn't step on a scale until I got home, but now I feel rolls in places that I've never had before, and because I gained it so quickly, it's all a little frustrating for me. I feel like I should be in control of my body, but I haven't been making the time to workout like I used to, so I guess I am more self-conscious because my weight gain is like the physical proof that I have not been taking care of myself.

But thank you for the perspective, and I think the bigger issue was just confronting my mom about it. I feel loads better now.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Okay. So I'm going to start doing the "Ten Bodacious Ways to Boost Body Image," and hopefully some of you can do the same--it'd be a good form of moral support! Things that I already do/do on a daily basis are listed here, and I will continue to write about my experience as I complete more tasks.

• Ditch the dissing
I am already a huge believer in not judging people's body type. There was too much of that in middle school. My friend and I used to look at magazines and rate the celebrities and she ended up almost becoming anoerxic (there were a lot of other factors too). Lesson learned. The mentality we were building up was unhealthy.

• Dare to bare
I do this all the time. Mostly because I don't care. Sometimes I feel like maybe I should spend more time grooming myself because it shows that I care about myself, and yeah, I can do the whole make-up things, but when I'm late for class, looking shiny-new is the last thing on my list. I never skip the essentials (showering, washing my hair, washing my face, brushing my teeth, etc) so I don't feel like I always have to look on top of my game. Especially for that 8:00 class.[/list]

More later! Please tell me if you guys are doing the same!

--------------------

Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

• make the real the ideal
The idea here is to make a collage of people who you admire not just for their trim tummy or gorgeously long legs, but for their accomplishments, ethics, or abilities. For every model, pro sports player or or celeb, you're supposed to have nineteen (!!!!) other real people.

Instead of a traditional paper collage, I made one on my computer. My one pro sports player was Natalie Coughlin because she's an awesome swimmer that I've looked up to for many reasons. I didn't add anymore celebs because nineteen is alot of people! Included right next to Coughlin was my friend Amanda, who is also an amazing swimmer who has gone to Olympic Trials twice already! I put my parents, of course! And my grandma, all her glorious wrinkles and all. I have swim coaches in there, Ayn Rand, one of my favorite authors, and many others! I set it as my new background for my new computer for new inspiration!

--------------------

Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

I see that no one else has posted yet...nonetheless, I will forge on my body-loving journey! Maybe someone will stumble on it and find it useful someday...

• self-validate
So I always feel better when someone gives me attention at a party, or compliments me on my smile, or says they love my outfit. I can't help it. I don't think I should feel bad about feeling good about it (got it?). However, I DON'T think I should feel as low as I do about my body when nobody does compliment me. So today I faced it full-on. I look in the mirror just in bra and underwear and embraced it all. I allowed myself to examine parts that I don't like, and slowly let myself to love that part. I don't usually look in the mirror. I'm not the girl who stands there and obsesses. I'm the girl who avoids the mirror because I'm scared of what I'm going to see. It worked! I feel loads better.

And I posted a haiku, which was very cool. It's Love Your Body Day: Come Haiku!

--------------------

Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

First of all, can I just say that opening my laptop to a bunch of "real" people that I respect greeting me is a daily joy! It reminds me to not focus on image so much, but my own personal worth.

• see every body
So I haven't had a chance to draw because of my first hectic year in college. Today I went to the mall with my sketchbook and just sat there and watched people go by. I noticed all the different body shapes, and boy, was I surprised! Pear, mango, cinnamon stick, strawberry, (okay, so I'm hungry right now) there was every body shape imaginable! Usually I only notice people who are super fit, so I get this image in my head that everyone looks like that. I was forced to examine everyone closely because I was sketching the people I saw. It was a great exercise, and I got a few hours of drawing practice in to boot!

[list]be a body image guerrilla!{/list]The task is to fight against anything that makes you feel bad about yourself. So I didn't go into Abercrombie and Fitch today.

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.