Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Experience with antidepressants?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Experience with antidepressants?
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past several months, I've been going to therapy, mostly for OCD and anxiety disorder. My therapist suggested I try medication, and so I saw a psychiatrist. She started me on the generic brand of Prozac. I'm on a pretty small dosage right now because I'm just starting out, but I'm already getting some mild side effects. I'm going to stick with the Prozac for now and see how it goes, but I may end up switching to something else. Anyways, I know different people react differently to different medications, but I guess I was just wondering about other people's experiences with Prozac (fluoxetine) and/or other SSRIs.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on quite a few SSRIs.

I was first put on Zoloft and it worked wonderfully for me. I stopped it against the advice of my doctor and when i had to go back on it, it didn't work for me.

Then i was on Effexor. HATED IT. Seriously hated it. I couldn't get my arse out of bed. I was so tired and lethargic ... It was horrible. I gave that two weeks and switched to Prozac.

Prozac was also wonderful for me. I was on that for years and then stopped, again, against the advice of my doctor.

Right now i am on Celexa. This has also been very good for me.

The important thing to keep in mind is that it can take up to 6-8 weeks for the full effects of the drugs to take kick in. It can also take that long for some of the side effects to subside. The Effexor was the only one that i had really bad side effects from, and it was worse than depression i was facing.

So unless the side effects are so horrible you can't cope, i would hang in there for a few weeks. Once the side effects subside, you and your doctor can discuss increasing the dose, if you're not getting the desired effects yet.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gothicguy
Neophyte
Member # 32417

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gothicguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also taken Celexa (Citalopram). I found it very helpful in stabilising my horrible mood swings and keeping me steady while I dealt with the emotional fallout from something.

One word of advice - if your anti-depressant medication information tells you to avoid alcohol while taking then HEED THE ADVICE. I had a very bad evening when I got drunk while on the course.

--------------------
SSC is a good idea for vanilla people too!

Posts: 28 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been on a number of antidepressants
Zoloft
Lexapro
Paxil
Cymbalta
Remeron
Elavil
Pamelor
Wellbutrin
and now Pristiq- which is the newest form of the Effexor type drugs...

Zoloft worked really well for me at first and then just kindof petered out. THe side effect I had of it was I was just really giddy the first week I was on it, but then it leveled out.
Lexapro did nothing but make me exhausted and gain weight.
Paxil was good for my anxiety but not my depression, but I didn't really suffer and side effects.
Cymbalta didn't do a thing.
Remeron was only added when I was on Cymbalta and I was having trouble gaining weight- and that was it's side effect it made me gain a few pounds and made me sleepy when I took it (which was at night so it was fine)
Elavil I take not for depression but for headaches- it makes me sleepy at night also, but I have trouble sleeping so this is a good thing for me.
Pamelor made me gain weight, nothing else, wasn't very helpful.
Wellbutrin made my anxiety spring to an all time high- not a good thing I would say.
And now I take Pristiq which I like very much, though there are some unpleasant side effects. I have trouble staying aroused, but it's generally not too too bad, and my throat gets EXTREMELY dry to the point I feel like I can't swallow. But all in all I like it- and I think it works so I'd rather bare with the side effects for a bit.

As you can see everyone reacts differently. Lil Blue Smurf said she hated Effexor- which Pristiq is the updated version- and I like it. It just depends on the person.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know my dad had really good results with Prozac when he was on it (this was when I was a baby), so that might be a sign that it'll work for me? But, at the same time, my girlfriend reacted horribly to it, and nearly had to be hospitalized so she didn't kill herself. Needless to say, this has kind of tainted my idea of Prozac. I was actually kind of nervous to start it (and am still a little concerned about taking it), because of what happened to her.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its said to be true that the likelyhood something will work for you is increased if it worked on someone else in your family.
My sister and my dad take zoloft and it works for them, and it worked for me before.
My mom takes effexor and it works for her, and pristiq works for me.

But, really it's dependent on the person. I've heard that prozac isn't always the best for depression but can work wonders on anxiety disorders. Again, it just depends on the person.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saguy
Neophyte
Member # 32916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on Celexa and Effexor in the past. Neither medication did anything at all for me. All I experienced was Effexor's nasty withdrawal.

I've been off meds for 2 years now and I'm definitely no better off. I'm back to being too scared to see a doctor again.

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obi
Activist
Member # 39222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on a lot of anti-depressants and they each worked differently for me. Unfortunately there's no easy way to tell how any medicine will make you react until you take them. I wish you luck in finding something (with the help of a good doctor) that helps you. Also, if you have the option, a good therapist will help as much, if not more as a good medication.
Posts: 46 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

I have been going to a therapist and I like her a lot. I'm also going to start cognitive behavioural therapy in a few weeks. Therapy has been helpful. It's nice to talk to someone objective about my problems. But it's not quite enough, you know?
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the side effects are mild, you might want to stick it out a little longer and see if they go away. I started on Celexa a few months ago, and though I had mild side effects at first, now the only odd thing it does is give me weird dreams. [Big Grin] Certainly if they don't clear up, or if you get some bad effect that you just can't live with, you'll want to tell your doctor about it.

And I hear you about therapy not being enough sometimes, too. I started out on the lowest dose, and after a month of medication and therapy, I was feeling better, but still a bit depressed. My doctor raised the dose and I'm finally starting to feel normal, which is really nice.

So yeah. Hopefully the meds will kick in and you'll notice a difference [Smile]

Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

One of the side effects of Prozac I've heard about the most is reduced sex drive. Especially now that my dosage has been increased, I have been noticing that I'm not as easily aroused and don't want sexual activity as much. Is this likely to continue or is it like other side effects that go away over time? And if it does continue, do you think it's a legitimate reason to switch medications? Would switching meds even help? Do other SSRIs have the same effect?
Narwhal
Activist
Member # 34755

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Narwhal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The psychiatrist who first prescribed Celexa for me said it could have that effect, too. He said if it became a problem I should talk to my doctor about it because there are things they can do--though he didn't elaborate, so I don't know if they would change your meds, or what. But definitely talk to your doctor about that.
Posts: 147 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.