Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » low low low self esteem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: low low low self esteem
Member # 39004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chesarasara889     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i have low self esteem when it comes down to sex. i hate my body and it's getting in my way ... my boyfriend complements me all of the time but i can't seem to believe him what can i do to get over this phase

Posts: 4 | From: united states | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you taken a look at those articles and questions I linked you chesarasare889 in your other thread here because I think that would be a really great start ?

[ 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

Sustain Scarleteen by donating

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 39037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pnyrdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
chesarasara889 I recently went through the same thing. I have always thought that everyone was prettier or skinnier or cooler than me. It wasnt till about last month (may) that I realized that I am never going to look like the models in magazines even though i would LOVE TOO!! I also just recently started to appreciate compliments that I am given. Maybe thats something that you can do. When your boyfriend compliments take a second and look yourself in the mirror and repeat the compliment in your head and really make your self realize that you are beautiful or gorgeous or what ever compliment you are given. Dont try to conform to what everyone else wants to look like. So basically OWN your compliments and except them and when ur feeling bad think about them!!! I hope this helps.
Posts: 5 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have low self esteem too. I was always scared of what people thought of me. At first I thought I was just scared to public speaking, and that if I practiced enough, I would get good at it. Then I realized that the bigger issue was that I cared to much of what other people think of me. Perhaps the bigger issue here is not just in sex, but that you don't like yourself in other ways?

What really helped me I kind of wrote about here, but I'll just kind of summarize the key point, and that is positive thinking. Here is a book that can give you an idea of what I'm talking about called The Power of the Subconscious Mind but I'm not saying it's the only way. My theory is that if you start thinking only positive things about yourself, AND OTHERS! (this includes no more going through magazines and criticizing celebrities or models for being "too fat" or having a "weird looking nose." or making fun of Susie in homeroom about her uglypolka dot overalls). Think only good thoughts and you'll continue to make a habit out of it, and then you'll start to love yourself for being loving! It's a wonderful cycle.

good luck, you can do it!

"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.