Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I was adopted from Russia.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I was adopted from Russia.
iAnastasia
Neophyte
Member # 35598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iAnastasia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was this kid in one of my class who was going around class saying "I was born in Russia and I lived there until I was 8, if you don't believe me I will bring Russian propaganda to school!."

I thought he was making a rude joke so after class I went up to him and said "You shouldn't joke about that, cause I really was born in Russia." (I was adopted.) And he goes "No I really was"

When class got out I saw him look at me and run up to one of his friends and i'm pretty sure that he made a comment about me behind my back.

I don't know weather to belive him or think he is just making it up. I always feel sad about being adopted, and knowing my real parents are on the other side of the world. I feel like i'm an outcast because I wasn't born in the US.

What should I do?

[ 03-17-2008, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: I Contort ]

Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strawberrywine
Neophyte
Member # 37366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strawberrywine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That really sucks, how he said something behind your back (if he did).

I really don't think he knows how you feel, because I didn't get it until you explained how being adopted makes you feel. Maybe you could try explaining it to him.

If that doesn't work, is there a teacher or something you could talk to that you trust?

--------------------
"Who's to say that love needs to be soft and gentle?"
-Dr. Twardon (Secretary)

Posts: 28 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strawberrywine
Neophyte
Member # 37366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strawberrywine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah, are you really a contortionist? That's really cool.

--------------------
-Dr. Twardon (Secretary)

Posts: 28 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horizon
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 35890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horizon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there are many, many people who were not born in the U.S. that are living here now. You're definitely not alone in that respect.

It sounds to me like the kid in your class was probably trying to get some attention, whether he really is from Russia or not.

--------------------
-Kayla
Scarleteen Volunteer

"A wise man should consider that health is the greatest of human blessings, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses." -Hippocrates

Posts: 755 | From: United States | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeffro
Neophyte
Member # 36621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry about it. there is nothing wrong with being adopted, either you're parents didnt want u, in which case u are much better off being with the parents u hav now that love u. or they couldnt afford it. either way you are better off where u are now with people that love u. (im sry if things i said there sound really bad, i dont mean them to but trueth is sometimes like that.)

from my experience with some friends that where adopted, they sometimes tend to get more attention, in which case, as horizon said, this kid in your class is probably jelous and wants attention himself.

As i said, i wouldnt worry about it. lots of people talk being the backs of others and there is nothing u can do about it. stick with your friends and ignore him.

--------------------
Jeffro

Posts: 6 | From: sydney | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iAnastasia
Neophyte
Member # 35598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iAnastasia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strawberrywine:
Woah, are you really a contortionist? That's really cool.

Yes, I even have pictures. I would post them if it were allowed on Scarleteen.
Posts: 34 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strawberrywine
Neophyte
Member # 37366

Wow, I knew this guy who did contortion. So it's not like I'm being sleezy or anything, sorry. I just realized after I posted that that it might sound odd.

--------------------
-Dr. Twardon (Secretary)

Ana Simone
Neophyte
Member # 30361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Simone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares if you came from Russia yesterday or the day you were born? If kids at school say that being from Russia is bad, and they don't even know where Russia is on a map much less what Russia is really like, they're just making stuff up to make themselves feel better. You will notice that people that are mean to you are always trying to make themselves feel better. People who like themselves don't make up stupid reasons to treat other people like dirt.

When you're a teenager, everyone is looking for reasons to separate themselves from their parents. That's what being a teenager is about.. learning who you are apart from your parents because you will have to fend for yourself one day. But you also have to appreciate the good qualities that they passed to you along the way that will help you in the real world. They taught you how to read and how to cook and so on. Once you decide that you are going to come out of your awkward Russian/American coccoon and be a Russian/American butterfly, people won't be saying anything but how amazing you are.

And remember, you don't have to choose one heritage over another. I am Moroccan and American. My best friend is Russian, German, and American. We love to look in the mirror together and point out why are faces are "exotic" and we don't look like every other American girl. Guys always tell us how unique we look and we love the extra attention. You will too!

Posts: 18 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.