Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Multipul Personalitly Disorder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Multipul Personalitly Disorder
Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Allysa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Allysa's boyfriend and could really use some help and advice on what to do about the recent hiccup in our relationship.

Recently after sex she's been having nightmares due from what she has discussed on this site and after she has a nightmare she wakes up and forgets a lot of things for instance where she's from, who she has in her family, who I am and where she is but remembers her first name.

Things that happen during these episodes include, destructive personality, extremely spiteful, tries to run away due to not knowing where she is, ignorant, rude, violent, is semi aware of other self in that she refers to her other self as weak which is why she cuts and all in all not herself. Then seems to wake up not remembering what has happened and often laughs it off as none sense, these episodes have lasted for approximately one week and can run for several hours.

But this only seems to happen at night straight after a nightmare and or panic attack and lately has been swapping in between the two personalities where the destructive personality seems to linger the longest and in some ways enjoys the terror she sets upon myself during this time often being violent and hostel towards myself and lately has been trying to cause harm to herself since I won't let her run away, even to the point where she has told me whilst in her destructive mode to let her choke when she is in the process of her panic attack and end it all as in some of her panic attack she seems to sound like she is choaking, she also tries to push limits in order to make me retaliate and cause her physical harm.

I am at a loss for what to do as I have never been in this kind of situation before and don't know how to help.

She refuses to go to a doctor for fear that any more bad news will make her lose control, but I am scared and don't know what else to do.

Is it possible that she could be suffering from the condition and if so what help is there and how can I help whilst she is having an episode?

Jake, concerned bf.

--------------------
Ally

Posts: 289 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as we share your concern and would love to help, Jake, we can't diagnose someone over the Internet and we're not doctors. You need to get her to a doctor as soon as possible so that she can get the help she needs. If she has another episode, you need to take her to the emergency department of a hospital and have her seen right away, especially if she is harming herself or trying to get other people to harm her.

Good luck. I'm sorry that we can't do more for you.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allysa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the speedy reply, is there any help for me if I have trouble coping with this?

--------------------
Ally

Posts: 289 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allysa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also when trying to take her to the hospital is there anything else that I could do as I don't want to hurt her and she seems to be able to put up a bit of a fight even though I weigh a bit more than she does.

I agree that she needs help in order to combat whatever this may be but is hurting her to get her the help really a good option?

--------------------
Ally

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're always happen to listen to you and to try and help you find resources for counseling and support in your area.

If you are having trouble getting her to the hospital, you can call the police or call an ambulance -- they're trained to either convince people to go in for help or to help subdue them to the point that they can be taken in. Don't get in a fight with her yourself -- call the professionals.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

Thank you so much for that, that is a big help.

Hopefully it won't come to that and we can talk with her councellor about it when she see them on the 5th.

Thankx again, I'll keep you updated.

--------------------
Ally

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jake,

You should be aware, we do not allow users to share accounts here. If you plan to post here, we will need you to register your own account and post from that user name, not with Allysa's.

Thanks.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory
Neophyte
Member # 29215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first of all, it's Multiple Personality Disorder, but now more commonly known as Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). From what you describe, your girlfriend does not appear to have multiple personalities at all. You'd know if she did, in my experience, at least. I speak from the experience that comes from having a best friend with DID.
Good luck.
Rory

Posts: 8 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

Hi, It's Ally, sorry we didn't know about the sharing accounts stuff, my bad.

Well would someone like to give me a hint at wtf is going on because all I know is what Jake is telling me and I need to have some idea, I'm going to my councellor this week for an appointment and yeah kinda want it sorted as me and Jake are thinking of starting a family and well I kinda don't need more **** right now as I would like to be normal.

If that for me is possible

--------------------
Ally

ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Allysa, we only know as much as you do -- someone used your account claiming to be your boyfriend and stating that you were in distress. We encouraged him to help get you assistance and to contact emergency personnel if necessary.

We're not mental health professionals and even if we were we couldn't diagnose someone over the Internet. All we can do is encourage you to continue your counseling and to be as honest as possible. Perhaps Jake can attend a session with you to provide his perspective.

It does seem a little odd that one of "you" is saying that things are sunshine and roses all the time and the other one is claiming that you're having "violent and hostile episodes." If this is what's actually happening, we wish you the best of luck in finding a resolution to the problem.

However, if all of this is being made up as a bid for attention, please understand that we take that sort of thing very seriously and will ban you from the boards.

Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

I am not making any of this up and neither is Jake, he didn't realise as nor did I that he couldn't use my account and he really needed some advise as I didn't understand what was going on.

Yeah I am keeping up with the councelling as I stated in the recent post and Jake has agreed that if he can get time from work he will come, this week his mum is coming with me as he couldn't.

I find it offensive that you would think I was doing this for attention, I am worried as to what is going on as yes, as you say one part of me is fine and the other part isn't but I don't understand why?

I know that you're not heath pros' but at the time Jake didn't know where else to turn as he couldn't get in contact with my councellor and he knew I came in here for help so naturally he thought of here.

I'm sorry he used my account but we needed help.

--------------------
Ally

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to understand that we can only work with what you give us. If you were to present this information in one post ... as in, "things are fine one minute, and really bad the next", it would've made much more sense. Having one post saying things are fine, and then your boyfriend coming here and saying things are really bad, it doesn't make sense to us. We don't know you or your boyfriend; we can't see what's going on first hand, and people can pretend to be whatever they want to be over the internet. We have dealt with a few of these in the past.

Erin's post was meant as a request for clarification, not as an accusation.

If the above is true, it sounds like you were seriously in crisis and needed immediate attention. The internet is not the place to turn. If this happens in the future, you or your boyfriend need to call emergency medical services in your area or get you to the hospital in some other way.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allysa
Activist
Member # 29972

I get that and appreciate that but I took Erin's post quite cruelly but totally get what she's saying it confuses me I just felt she could have worded it differently is all.

Well like i said I have the appointment his week so hopefully it should be ok.

Things are getting better steadily and hopefully should get even better as I have a better support group and people around me who genuienally care about helping me which is great.

--------------------
Ally

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.