Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Just need to vent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just need to vent
iamfree
Activist
Member # 35227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iamfree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend told me a story today that really shook me up.

A friend of his was with a group of buddies (including a few girls), when they were all robbed by several men at gunpoint. Apparently the muggers, not satisfied with stealing their cell phones and money, groped a couple of the girls.

I almost cried when I heard that last part. I started imagining what it would be like to be sexually assaulted at gunpoint, and my heart went out to those girls. I feel angry and I want nothing more than for those men to be castrated, but most of all I feel terrified. I have been mugged three times in the past year, and ever since the first mugging I have been terrified of being raped or assaulted in any other way.

What freaks me out the most is that this incident ocurred in my boyfriend's middle-class neighborhood, which I previously assumed to be very safe. Now I'm scared to go to his house. And what terrifies me above all is that this sort of incident, which was previously unheard of in sleepy little Costa Rica, has now become more and more common.

I'm sad for those girls, furious at men who do this kind of thing and scared to death about being raped, or even being mugged again. Sorry for the long post, but I needed to vent.

Posts: 149 | From: Costa Rica | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
defied
Neophyte
Member # 36539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for defied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you & those girls. I was molested by my uncle when I was 9 and he was living in my house for about a year. And since then I've been terrified of getting raped or assaulted everday of my life. For my last birthday my dad bought me mace and a taser. It really does make me feel safer and I always keep it on me, even if its just from my car to my front door. So I really recommend buying some mace & even a taser just so it might make you feel just a bit safer even if its just walking outside to get the newspaper.
Posts: 25 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One truth about the world that's often very tough to deal with -- especially if you had different expectations -- is that when it comes to sexual violence, there are no "safe" neighborhoods or areas. Sexual violence happens just as much in the suburbs as in the city, just as much in wealthy communities as poor ones, and a lot of the ideas people have about who gets violated and who perpetrates tend to be false. For instance, your average rapist is white, is around 30, and almost a quarter of them are married.

Sexual assault, too, isn't really uncommon anywhere. In places where it seems to be, it's often instead an issue of it not being made visible. It happens everyone, and can happen to anyone, particularly women.

Like I said, I know that when the blinders come off like this for people, it can be incredibly tough. And by all means: be angry. But at the same time, it might be helpful to realize that your level of danger has likely changed in no way, you've just been made more aware of it now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.