Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » The newest issue in my life- uch (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The newest issue in my life- uch
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
glitch

[ 01-04-2008, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: hs123 ]

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i forgot to add this... i'm in between pyschiatrists, so maybe i've been using this as a coping mechanisms... but i've been drinking a lot... and before i this, i'd never even had a drink. clearly i need more counseling, but does anyone have an idea as to another coping mechanism in the meantime... i think i'm trying to get fun back into my life, but clearly know this is the wrong way to bring fun back into my life, but how else can i do this?

suggestions of new ways to have fun would be so helpful... at least some non-selfdestructive ways would be great.. (i actually am morally against drinking, but i think i may have let myself go a bit)

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long do you think it will take before you can find another psychiatrist? Who initiated the change, and why? It seems like right now is a terrible time to leave you hanging with no support at all. Can you call your old psychiatrist and ask to still be seen until you have a new one? Or at least ask to be refered to a counseling center where you can get some help in the meantime?

You may also want to think about looking up the number of local crisis hotlines. The people there should be able to refer you to some resources, as well.

As far as coping mechanisms go, they depend on what sort of things you like to engage in and what hobbies you have. For example, someone who is really into sports may go for a long run when they feel they are starting to panic. Me, I'm a bit of a writer, so writing poetry (even if it's crappy -who cares?) helps me get focused again. Do you play an instrument? Focusing on learning a new piece would help distract you, too. I'm sure you'll be able to think of something that works for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

I initiated the change in psychiatrists.. well, we both did sort of. I don't like the way he talks to me, i think he's very condescending, and i guess he's sort of freudian (which is weird because he's SUPPOSED to be good with helping trauma victims..) Actually the reason i stopped seeing him a few years ago was for some of the same reasons, i just hated the way he talked to me, like I'm a two year old.
But he asks me about my childhood a lot, and sure, I didnt have a great childhood, my family is really screwed up, but that's not what I'm dealing with now. I've coped with that, I need to cope with the recent events in my life. I asked him why he does all this and he gave me some ambiguous answer.

So i'm switching to someone else, I have an appt in 10 days, so it's not that long.

I saw someone when I was younger who I was really really comfortable with, and who I would definitely not mind seeing again (i feel like he really got what i was saying) , it just happens to be that I moved a few years back so that's just not possible.

Anyway, that's about it. Coping-wise... I like art. but I tried that. It doesnt help. It doesnt relax me it makes me angrier and more panicky. It's like a catharsis, in a really bad way.
luckily i dont have flashbacks or such bad panic attacks anymore-- but still when they happen it sucks.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear it: I had some concerns that you were dealing with someone who seemed to have trouble addressing that your issue right now is an immediate/current trauma. Someone in that spot doesn't need to know about their childhood or analyze their whole life: they need help coping with and processing that particular trauma. You might make a point of bringing that right to the table when you're screening new therapists: make sure they have had experience dealing with rape trauma and that they are able to help you deal with yours.

Just do watch that drinking. Alcohol isn't a good coping mechanism as a habit, and getting in that habit could mean you wind up having to deal with an additional challenge on your plate when you're already struggling to deal with the one.

Too, I might suggest, if you feel up for it again, that you go to your art. For sure, it can bring up anger, bring up sadness, but that's one way to work through those things: to let them come out and express themselves in a safe avenue for doing so. I've done some of my best artwork like that, and while it can be a bit of a scary thing when you're in it, it usually is a needed catharsis, however uncomfortable.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Well, I haven't been drinking a lot... It's just that compared to before it's alot, because before I'd never had a drink at all, unless my parents were letting me take a sip of wine or something.

The art thing, I just don't know if I can do it...
When I have a flashback, if I do art, it only seems to make it worse.. The things I remember seem so much worse. In truth, this whole thing is something I don't want to deal with. I really just want to supress it forever, but seeing how that's not possible I don't know what to do... Everytime I remember something new, I just go to sleep for a few hours, so I won't have to deal with it. The more I remember, the more i don't know if I was actually raped, even though I don't think I was--- I just don't know anymore. Well, I mean, I want to say I know I wasnt, but I don't. I feel like there would have been some sign afterwards if I was. Like I'd be sore or something... But I wasn't--- I mean, at least not down there--- I was bruised and stuff on my stomach and waist, and all across my wrists, but nothing else--- and even when I have flashbacks and remember new things, I still don'tthink I was raped... I just wonder if one day I'm gonna have a flashback and remember that I actually was--- that's what kills me. It's all so uncertain.

In terms of psychiatrists--- well, thank god we have really good medical insurance and i can see whoever I want to see, no questions asked...

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

in short, i have absolutely no motivation to do anything at all... i either wanna lay in bed all day or just sit on the computer like I am today....

i got in to college- i should be happy about it but i'm not.

i dunno--- i was cynical before, but i'm even more cynical now--- I think i've kindof lost the desire to do anything at all... it's not that i want to die, i just don't want to live MY life---because this just isnt MY life--- my life isn't supposed to be this way... im not supposed to feel like this isn't my body--- this just isn't my life---
my life had some vague plan, but this definitely wasn't in it.

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be helpful to acknowledge that people will usually have some experience like this that effectively makes it clear that the world is in many ways not a safe place, there are ugly people who live in it with us, and that a rare few of us make it through life without injury. And in so many ways, the lives we plan as young people are rarely the lives we wind up living, even when we're not talking about a major trauma.

That isn't to diminish what you're going through, not at all. I've been there, more than once, with rape and other tragedies, and it can be hard. I know for me, it was perhaps a bit easier (if you can call it that) because I was born into so much tragedy and had to deal with some profound violences at a very young age, so when I was first assaulted, it was awful, and it was a grave injury, but I wasn't exactly surprised it happened to me (or anyone else), nor did it alter my world view in any major way. I had obviously hoped I wouldn't have to go through anything like I did, and it certainly shook my foundations, but over the years I have watched a lot of your women who were not in that position, and for whom a rape was something they never expected or thought they were at risk for, and that certainly adds an extra challenge to healing.

Depression does cause people to lose motivation and feel lax and apathetic, and becoming depressed or more depressed after a rape is beyond normal: it's very, very common. But at some point, you do have to pick yourself up, because right now, this IS your life and right now you're choosing, of your own accord, not to live it, you know? It also tends to get harder and harder to stand back up the longer you stay down. One way of healing is also really reclaiming your own life, not allowing a rapist to usurp it.

How about asking a friend or two to help you and just come and drag you out every couple of days?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

I do have friends who drag me out sometimes, I'm just not a fun person to be around, and I don't like knowing that.
I go to school, and I come home and I sleep all weekend. That's about it--- My work suffers--- I went from As to Bs... but I don't even care at this point.

I'm just pretty sick of dealing with it all--- My trip was probably the most I got out--- and I hardly got out--- I slept a lot--- my boyfriend was really good at getting me out when he was free--- but other than that, i just didnt feel like it. I feel nervous around people, and therefore avoid having to be around people.

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

to be honest, why do i care if he wins or not-- i mean, he's already won--- even when i go on to live a happy life and whatever, he's still won...
he got what he wanted. so what does it mean, don't let him win. he already did---
no matter what i do, he's won... he got what he wanted, he has my body--- and no matter what i do it doesn't change that. so why do i care?

Heather
Member # 3

People don't rape because they just want sex. rape is motivated by a desire to humiliate and subjugate. So, in so many ways, giving a rapist what they are looking for, per the whole of what they are doing to you, has just as much to do with what happens after a rape as it does with what happens during. If you refuse to be humiliated and subjugated, if you refuse to remain a victim, you are, indeed, not fulfilling their aim.

And if you really want to go there, then why do you? Why do you care about the rest of your life now? Why would you care if for the rest of it, you feel like you do now? Why wouldn't that be just fine?

Why not choose to be a victim from here on out instead of a survivor? What are the pros and cons of each choice? Obviously, it is a choice. If you want to choose to just let the whole of your life go, ditch any current or future achievements, al of that, it certainly is something you can do. But like any choice you'd consider, it'd be sage to take a look at what that choice would really mean for you, and if it's really one you can and want to live with.

[ 01-05-2008, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

I'm just sick of dealing with it. It's easier to not deal with it. It's easier to lay in bed and not think about it and sleep through it.
I'm not saying I want my whole life to go down the tubes... I'm saying, saying your attacker didn't get what he wanted it BS. For the time at least, he humiliated, and he subjugated. THat's what he wanted, right?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you know, you get to feel how you feel about it, obviously. But I certainly don't think it's bullshit, and I don't feel like it has been for me. It was pretty critical to my own healing, and a lot of survivors tend to report that reclaiming their lives has been in that same way.

Again, some of that is because overall, rapists really are not looking to subjugate their victims just for that moment. Part of them is looking for something far bigger, which is their victims and victims as a class remaining subjugated so that there can be no doubt that they, the rapists, are the ones with all the power and control.

Obviously, too, no one can tell someone else what their right way to heal is. But I can tell you that it's pretty obvious that trying not to think about it and trying to sleep through it does not seem to be working for you, because your assault was getting on two months ago, and yet you still appear incredibly post-traumatic, and like you're having a really tough time moving forward. We don't tend to expect anyone to just be all over it this soon, but for someone who is starting to heal, I can say that in general, we'd expect to see someone a bit further out, and not flirting with developing coping mechanisms that aren't, like habitual drinking.

I'll also say that usually, someone who doesn't want help doesn't tend to come somewhere like this voluntarily and ask for it. Obviously, we can't very well help you....well, do nothing, or try and live in any kind of denial. That's not something anyone can help with. But we can help you seek out more resources, talk more about ways to heal that do work for a lot of people, and provide you support in whatever you are doing (as opposed to not doing) to try to process and heal. If you're not ready to do that, though, or just don't want to try, I'm afraid there's really no way for us to help you out.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

i'm not saying i dont want to heal. Im not saying I dont want to move forward... Maybe i AM moving forward slower than is expected, but i can't will it to all go away! maybe i should be dealing with things in more sound ways--- maybe i dunno anymore---
Is there really a time limit on these feelings? Is there really a "NORMAL" when it comes to this? People keep pushing me to get over it all, and I can't. I can't just get over it! I can't just make it go away! I can't just not think about it anymore!
Every flashback I remember something new about it-- And everytime I remember something new it starts over again. It's like every flashback I relearn what happened, in a more horrific way everytime. It's terrifying... knowing your gonna have another flashback at some point... And I NEVER know what that's gonna reveal.

I hear what your saying, but my brain just isn't digesting the information anymore.

Im angry, and I'm pissed off, and I hate what I'm going through, but i don't know how to make it stop!

Heather
Member # 3

If anyone expects you to just full-stop be all better, then the problem is that their expectations aren't realistic.

What you -- and anyone else -- should be looking for is just for you to be feeling a little better with each day (given that sometimes there are stops and starts), be triggered less often, be feeling more able to resume with your normal life, etc. Too, we're also looking to be sure that in coping, a person isn't picking up dangerous ways to try and do that, but healthy, productive ways to process. Thus, my stating that from what I'm observing, what you say is working best for you really doesn't seem to be, and some of it is also sound cause for concern. Too, "coping" mechanisms like drinking only tend to make matters even worse, on a lot of levels, including that alcohol is a depressant... not real helpful for someone feelings depressed.

It's also not only normal, but healthy to be angry (just watch where you direct it, eh?). If you're getting angry, it's a good sign: it means that you recognize what happened to you was the invasion and injury it was. Often, especially at first, and especially given the way rape is viewed in the world we live in, people can get stuck in self-blame for a long time before they get to anger.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

well i'm angry... i'm not just angry... i'm livid, i'm pissed off. i have all these feelings and i dont know what to do with them. i just don't know what to do with it.
i feel like, i dunno... like tearing all my pillows apart, or throwing plates at a wall or something (though i can't imagine that would be safe, or pleasant afterwards...)
i feel like tearing up all my artwork (though i wouldnt want to deal with my parents after i do that, and i wouldn't wanna face myself if i did that either...) but i almost did it tonite...

i just don't know what to do with it all. people keep saying i should do things that're relaxing, but i don't feel relaxed, i can't! i just feel like tearing my room apart!

i keep wishing it'll go away, that these feelings won't be there when i wake up, but they're always there.

Heather
Member # 3

So do something like that. Given, breaking plates you didn't buy isn't so cool, and if you're going to break your own, I'd suggest goggles.

But, for instance, hitting a heavy bag boxing was always awesome therapy for me. Doing pieces of art which involved big tools or smashing something with a sledgehammer? Also great.

Do yourself a favor and don't destroy things of value to you: that you'll regret later. But a good, hard catharsis with something that's safe and sensible? If you know that's what you need, then it's the right thing, and it's hardly like you'd be the first sexual assault victim in history to find that's what's needed. not by a serious long shot.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

I did the art thing last month--- it just didn't help... given all this stuff has made my art a lot more marketable, i sold two pieces last month (that's a lot in a short amount of time)... given they dont sell for much cuz i'm just a student, not even a student of art, but i went to an arts conservatory for two years of highschool...

my friend was just here.. he told me i could punch him if i wanted.. (im sure her wasnt worried because i'm small and he's extremely large and muscular) and to be honest... i wanted to. i really wanted to just punch him. i was actually gonna but i started crying and he just held me for awhile. then he gave me paper (he said he was gonna kill himself if i even laid a hand on my portfolio) and he told me to tear it up... i went through a lot of paper... hekept throwing more at me till i was so exhausted i couldnt tear anymore, which really only took about 15 minutes. i was sitting in a pool of shreds of paper. he wasn't here that long... he said i looked a lot better afterwards...
he was like "see you've got color in your cheeks and everything, you look alive!" then he told me he had to go, but i should take a bath to calm down..(i didnt take a bath)
i felt better. i felt like it'd all gone into the paper... but i dont wanna become a freak who has to tear paper when she's upset.... come to think of it, about two weeks ago i was in the computer lab with a friend and i tore up an application to brown... she thought i was crazy

i tried to tell him everything that'd happened... i hadn't really told him anything before this, so i thought i could tell him everything ive started to remember, but he kept just staring in disbelief, so i couldnt finish.

i can't tell people when they're staring at me like that... i could only tell my boyfriend because it was over the phone... i can deal with the silence, i just can't deal with the faces. but i feel like i need to tell someone... it's still all fragmented because i dont remember everything, but i feel like i need to tell someone something.

i like ripping paper though. i want to rip up some art work, but i know that's kindof screwy. afterall, that's money there.

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Is it normal to get a complete mental block when you try to talk to someone about it all?

I sat on the phone with my boyfriend, or whatever we are now, for about 3 hours, and it was about 2 hours before I could say anything... I just can't seem to verbalize what I'm thinking in my head when it comes to this... is that normal?

After I spilled everything I was thinking, and I really spilled out everything I was thinking when I finally got up the nerve to talk, I felt so much better--- I was feeling really crappy---but whenever I actually wanna talk, it seems like nothing comes out.
I'm just wondering if it gets easier to talk about and if it's normal to not be able to even if you want to... because I would really like to talk to my boyfriend about it more cuz it makes me feel a lot better to get it off my chest, but I can't really get it out.

I talked to him about how some days are really bad and I just want to sit in bed and do nothng, but sometimes, like today, I wanted to get out and have fun--- And like, when I actually let myself have fun for once and just laugh at everything, it was such a relief. BUt I think I was able to let myself have fun because I talked to him about it, and I want to talk about it more.

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

So everything was going fine today--- i mean, i got sick, but besides that i was feeling ok... I've been having really bad dreams for the past few days (ones that seem really real, and when i wake up i just can't seem to shake them), and I didn't ahve one last night, so i woke up feeling pretty good.
But tonight I realized that Friday is my first appt with the new psychiatrist, and I'm terrified and now I feel panicky again. My head started hurting and I'm just freaking out. I could hardly talk to my other psychiatrist and now I have to see a new one, and I'm so scared that he's gonna ask me all these questions about everything and I'm just gonna freeze up and everything like I usually do.

I'm so incredibly terrified and I feel so panicky right now. I took the anti-anxiety medication that my last psychiatrist gave me, but it's not helping at all. I'm just so scared about friday.

I called my boyfriend today because I wanted to talk through everything with him and make sure I could verbalize my thoughts and all, but he wasn't available, and now I'm just so nervous.

What to I do? I even tried an old relaxation tape that I got a long time ago when I had panic attacks as a kid, but it's just not helping. I'm so scared...

And I know if I go to bed thinking about it, I'm just gonna have another really bad dream--- it seems like whatever's on my mind during the day is what I dream about when Im sleeping.

hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

I just wanted to thank everyone here for everything... This has been the best place for me to release everything and just vent.

It's been, I guess about 2 1/2 months now, and things are looking up, even though I still have bad days, but my new psychiatrist is really good, I really like him.

I haven't had a flashback for awhile, or like a week or two maybe, which is a lot for me. I still have dreams that kindof freak me out, but less so than when I first had them... Now they're just really weird, not neccesarily scary.

I still feel pretty depressed, but the overall anxiety that I was feeling has kindof subsided, eventhough I still get really anxious sometimes. The anger, it's still there some, and I think some of it might always be, but overall, those feelings have lessened.
My motivation to do things has started to come back, slowly, but I think it's coming.

I still don't really talk about exactly what happened, I'm still working on that. I talk about it to my boyfriend/friend-- I mean, talking about details of it and everything still makes me cringe... I hope that oneday I'll be able to tell him everything that happened, but right now, I just tell him how I'm feeling--- and he's a really good listener, and he's really good at making me feel safe and comfortable.
He's such a respectful, considerate, kind person.
When I was with him, and he tried to finger me, (really his hand was just like, right on the waist of my pants, all I did was flinch, and he said it was okay, even though I wanted to let him, he told me it was ok and that it wasn't going to be fun for him, if it wasn't something I enjoyed. It was such a good feeling (even though it was something I couldn't do and wanted to) it was so good to feel respected.
Being reassured that someone thinks you matter, (especially when your family doesn't act like you do) is such a good thing---
Anyways, I just wanted to I guess, update, and thanks everyone here for everything... I know I posted a million times which was probably so annoying, and I try not to do it anymore--- But I'm glad that I got those feelings of my chest, and I'm thankful that Scarleteen gives us all a place to do it.

Thanks to Heather and All the Volunteers!
[Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.