Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » pcos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pcos
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to get surgery in december and I'm super afraid. I just have an awful feeling about it and keep having nightmares. I'm afraid to get the anesthetic...I just feel like something will go wrong, even though I had my wisdom teeth out in June and it didn't kill me. I'm also afraid of having to have an ovary removed. I know it's not that big a deal but it will just be wierd to have something like that removed, I don't know. It's also ******* up alot of stuff for school and I've been sleeping awful and being super emotional and stressed and stuff. everytime I think about the surgery and school I just feel like crying. There's no one I can really talk to about it. I can't tell my family because it will just make them alot more worried than I am, I tell my boyfriend and he's very sympathetic but it's hard for him to understand. I haven't told any of my other friends here at school mostly cause I don't really want to talk about it and I don't want them to pity me. My best friend is half way accross the country and we barely talk, I just feel so awful and afraid about it
Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel any better, I suddenly dropped to the ground at the age of 13 screaming in pain from an undetected ovarian tumor; it turned out to be roughly the size of a tennis ball. I had emergency surgery that was pretty invasive, and they found multiple tumors all over my ovaries. To my knowledge, I've kept both ovaries perfectly fine!

Cysts are far easier to get rid of, when they require surgery at all. Cysts are full of fluid versus solid, so all they usually require is needle incision and draining with a needle. Most women wake up with little square band-aids around their hip bones and recover quickly. There's far less of a risk of losing an ovary when the masses aren't causing significant torsion.

So, I know it's scary, but I promise it's not the nightmare you're imagining. [Smile]

Are you sure you can't talk to your family about this, especially since you're so stressed and will be missing school? I mean, they'll have to know then, right? What's the worst that could happen?

[ 11-18-2007, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lauren, that does make me feel a little better, and my mom was just telling me that she's now heard of 2 people who have had the surgery and it was fine, she is probably just as worried as me which is really why I don't want to talk to her about it. She's a bit of a worry wart, and I know she's already really worried about it, so if she knows that I'm worried then she will worry about me being afraid as well as the surgery, and she's not so young any more and isn't in the best shape health-wise, so I really don't want to stress her out more than she already is.

Anyways, mine is a dermoid cyst which ive been told is chunks of hair and teeth follicles and sounds really icky lol, would that still be the same procedure?

for school it's not that I'll be missing class, I'll be missing exams. Some of the profs are being really accomdating and others aren't which is another thing that's making me really emotional right now.This is the first time in my life that a)I've wanted to do well in school b) I have to put in a lot of effort to do well in school. And there is this one class that if I could write the final I will have an A (4.0) and if I don't I will have a B (3.0) which is quite a big difference, I'm also just stressed with another course in general that doesn't have to do with the surgery but some of the papers were just extremely unfairly unmarked and the instructor is not being so accomodating with me wanting to discuss that with him before I hand in my next assignment, so that is just one more thing that's making me very upset right now. I'm also taking a film class, and I will be missing the final class in which we've rented out a theatre, and are gonna watch and discuss all our final films while eating tasty snacks which is just super depressing since i doubt ill ever get the chance to take a class like this again

Thanks again Lauren, for now that is actually making me feel quite abit better about the surgery, but I just don't know why I've been having this intuition that it's going to kill me or something else awful. I need to make an appointment with my doc to talk about some other stuff that I'm not sure about relating to the cyst (drinking, sex, excersize, nausea) but I just haven't had time yet because of school, but hopefully sometime this week, maybe that will help a bit too. :S

I'm having another night of insomnia because I can't stop thinking how frustrated I am about not being able to write the final in this course and how this stupid surgery is ruining my life and how i wish I had chosen the date just before christmas, but i thought the profs would be more accomodating and I wouldn't miss that final film class and my family really wanted to go on a vacation, so if I got it at the begining of december theres a chance that I might get better in time to go on a short vacation before we all hafta go back to school, but I just wish I had chosen the later date, although mom was kind of worried cause then most of the doctors are out for christmas so if there was any complications it would be bad. but just ugh it's so frustrating

[ 11-18-2007, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: hunnybunny888 ]

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eek, yeah. Mine were dermoids too. They're technically classified as tumors because they're solid. It might comfort you to know, though, that once they're gone they're less likely to come back. My first doctor mistakenly put me on birth control pills to prevent ovulation, which only works on normal cysts. Dermoids are germ cell tumors thought to be present since fetal development. Lucky us, eh?

And yeah, when they took mine apart they found all sorts of weird crap -- fat, hair, nails, teeth, you name it. My doc explained that some sort of weird process takes place where an ovum tries to undergo fetal development without being fertilized, so the cells divide to create the masses the mother's body typically provides. I don't know how much merit that has, though, especially if they form congenitally.

So, knowing this, your surgery will probably have you down for the count for awhile. I think you'd really benefit from talking to your doctor about it as well as how long you'll need to recover and how much time in school you'll miss. Have him/her write you a note, and take it to your teachers and request some way of getting as much coursework in advance as possible, and work out a convenient way of getting homework thereafter, through fax/email or a friend in class.

I was in the hospital for 8 days and off school for a month. I got really behind in work, so much that I near failed, and having the initiative to talk to my teachers and keep up on homework would have helped tremendously.

Another thought: can you talk to the principal/a counselor about a home/hospital study teacher? Most districts are obligated to designate a teacher to put together all your missed work and visit you at home/the hospital if you're away for a certain period of time. They failed to send me one, and got in a pretty big bind in my detention dispute hearing. A principal/counselor is a good person to talk to, anyway, regardless of your time away; it's their duty to work with you to make sure you don't get behind!

ETA: Oh, and about your worry regarding complications -- doctors can't just decide not to take pages just because they'd really like to be with their families. They have to schedule time away and designate a replacement physician to handle calls/their patients, and it's usually not something they do often. Worse comes to worst, you can head in to the ER, as they almost always have a surgeon on call (for problems with stitches, etc). [Smile]

[ 11-19-2007, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

I'm in university so I don't have someone to collect my work and visit me or anything, I've already talked to all the profs, but they are just not always willing to be very fair about it
there's supposed to be a 2- week recovery period so I'm not gonna be missing any school, just exams, but i'm writing the ones im allowed to in january
but i can't do all of them and there is absolutely nothing i can do to write it, unless of course i recover very quickly and fly out here 5 days after the surgery

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you talk to your Profs about giving you the assignments/material ahead of time? When I had to get surgery done a couple of years back I knew that I would be gone for 2-3 weeks, as well, so I talked to my Profs and most of them were happy to explain to me what they'd be doing while I was gone and give me my assignments.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

sorry if i wasn't clear. I won't be missing any school at all. My surgery is during exam time and my recovery time is during christmas break. Most of my exams I am able to write in january. But for one class I am not able to write the exam at all, so that is very frustrating.
The other school stuff I was talking about was just a seperate issue that is adding to all this stress, but not to do with missing stuff from the surgery

THanks for all your responses so far, it's really great to be able to vent without feeling bad. I was definately feeling better today, I just decided to take a mental health day and lazed around until work then lazed around until class and watched way too much southpark, which probably wasn't the best idea because I've got a big assignment due tomorrow, of course I was just very discouraged to do it because of what I said before

hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

sometimes it's not so bad, i see myself in recovery, some friends are there, and in a few weeks everything is back to normal
and then another day I can't get it out of my head that I will die, something with the anesthetic maybe, what the doctor will say to my family, how my mom will bawl, how my friends will be in a silent state of shock. some will cry, how i wont be alive anymore, how wierd it is that i might not be alive anymore. how much i want to be alive for a long time, and theres absolutely nothing i can do to control it

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
hey hunnybunny, good luck for your surgery. Just wanted to say its so very unlikely that a young healthy person like you would die during surgery. We have a much higher chance of dying when we get into a car and drive rather than when we have an operation.

take care, this will go well ;-p

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hunnybunny, did you talk to the emergency dean? I mean if you really need those exams, go and talk to your dean about it especially if you are having a hard time with a professor and you really need the exam. Go over their head if you must.

--------------------
Track: run hard, make left turns

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

I'm not sure we have an emergency dean? I'm going to ask student services if there is anything I can do since they helped get all the accomodations arranged in the first place, but they had told me they can only be as accomodating as the professor is willing, and since I knew from the start of the year I wouldn't be able to write this exam (well since the exam schedule was posted anyways) there probably isn't much they can do. I might try to go to the dean if that doesn't work but again I'm not sure if they can do anything about it.
I'm a bit less nervous about the surgery right now, I talked to my best friend about it for a little bit but just telling her about it made me feel better, and I've really been so bogged down with school stuff, trying to finish everyhting and work out exams with all the profs I've had very little time to think about it. Which is another problem because I keep getting colds and such from all this stress and my already shitty immune system, and if I'm sick they won't due the surgery ...

run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the immune system, start drinking orange juice. It always manages to help me out when im sick.

I dont know what to tell you about stress. My college experience hasnt been the greatest so far, and stress became a huge problem for me. But what really helped was talking to my friends about everything.

The dean should be able to work something out with your Professor. Or atleast the chair or head of the department. I mean make them understand that you really need to take this exam, and they should atleast try to be accomadating, its not like you are going on vacation.

Is there an earlier conflict exam you can take? You mentioned that you were having the surgery during finals week, but is it possible to see if the prof. will let you take it early? I mean you arent going to be there so there is no chance of you leaking the answers. I mean this professor should be reasonable, but best of luck on this i would hate to miss an exam because my prof. couldnt be flexible or understanding.

And Im glad you are a bit less nervous. Good luck with everything and I hope you start feeling better.

--------------------

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

hm orange juice, omega-3, and B6 have seemed to do the trick, so hopefully I'll be able not to get sick in the next 8 days.
The whole exam thing keeps getting worse though, student services hasn't called me back, and the prof for one of my courses hasn't emailed me back, so I'm going to have to talk to him tomorrow, I also have to talk to him about quizzes I missed and one of the assignments and I hate confrontation so buuh.
I've still been less nervous so I'm taking that as a good sign, I'm trying to think about it as little as possible because I know I'll just get paranoid again, I just really want to get it over with now.

run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Well thats good, Im glad you are feeling better.
Hmm, can you call student services back? I mean the might have lost your name and number, or theyare just delayed. It never hurt to just check in. And I hate confronting people too, but it wil be okay, i mean he isnt going to start screaming or anything.

And just relax, I mean do something fun. Have a movie night with friends, or something just get your mind off of it. [Smile]

Let me know how it goes [Smile]

--------------------

hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

hey run_for_run and everyone else that's helped out,
the surgery went well, I'm still in some pain and such but that's expected, the doctor was very pleased.
I'm still working out some of the school stuff which is annoying but my mom is making a few calls on my behalf because parents are always much more intimidating than students.
THanks so much for helping me out and I'm just really glad its over, and hopefull I'll be all recovered soon!

run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Its awesome to hear back from you! Im glad the surgery went well, and that everything is going alright! You will be recovered in no time [Smile] Yeah parents can make all of the difference [Smile]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.