Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » feeling anger/being paranoid after rape/abuse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: feeling anger/being paranoid after rape/abuse
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to know if this was normal to have a phase where you feel anger after a rape/abuse and sorta like paranoia too. Like anger towards older men and feeling that the reason they come to talk to you is just because they want to sleep with you. And I'll be on the defensive or scared if they come to talk to me. Sometimes I'll walk away without saying anything.

And sometimes this make me feel disgusted or I'll be really angry towards them. Like older men dating younger girls just makes me vomit. That just disgust me a lot.

Is this common ? I guess I just want to be reassured this is normal. I know I have a counselor but I'm just not there yet with her so that's why I'm asking you guys and I hope that is okay.

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, one'd hope we'd all feel angry at some point. It doesn't make sense to never be angry that someone brutalized you, you know?

And often the reason why it takes longer for anger to happen is because so many rape and sexual abuse survivors hear themselves balmed so much and internalize that.

But I do think it's sage to just watch where you're directing at, and be sure you aren't blaming a group for something an individual did. With my gang assault when I was 12, for instance, the boys involved were all of color.

But that doesn't mean I have just cause to mistrust or be angry with people of color: I have just cause to mistrust or feel angry with THOSE guys.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yeah I know, it makes sense. But it's like stronger than me sometimes I guess. This is probably something that will get better over time.

Thanks !

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really think that that's okay, and personally 9and most experts agree) I think it's a pretty vital part of healing.

Once we're able to get angry, we're clearly starting to blame the person or situation which SHOULD be blamed, rather than ourselves, and that's healthy. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Yeah I agree even if I doubt, personnally, though there really is such thing as healing when it comes to talking about a rape/abuse.

[ 10-31-2007, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Well, there really is, as lots of us can testify to. I mean, I get feeling like you might not get there, but doubting that anyone can isn't so sensible, since there are plenty of us sitting right here who can speak to healing.

I suggested this book for someone the other day, but in case you didn't see it, you might want to see if you can't hunt down a copy of "Strong at the Heart: How It Feels to Heal from Sexual Abuse," by Carolyn Lehman.

It might be of use to you, especially when you're still at the point where it's tough to take steps to heal, like by talking to your therapist about your abuse.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Why do you get a feeling like I might not get there ?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I didn't say that at all.

I said I understood YOU feeling like you might not.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Oh, sorry. Thanks for making that clear.

May I ask, while you're there, like how many years of counseling this might take ? I know it's not really good to look at it from that angle and that it might differ a lot from one person to the next but like just to get an idea...

[ 10-31-2007, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

Honestly, no one can answer that, because it depends so much on each person. But for a lot of folks, even just getting a START by voicing it to a counselor is a big help all by itself.

But we can safely say that if you never really start, it's kind of a moot point. [Smile]

I know for myself, if I was insured, I'd be in therapy nonstop: I'm just one of those people who finds counseling helpful even when I'm not in any sort of crisis. But I also know that even with just a few sessions with a counselor per abuse stuff when I was younger that those alone made a pretty huge difference.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Alright. And yeah I've started...all over again...but maybe at least this time it'll be better. I haven't actually gotten to the rape stuff yet but that's a start nonetheless. [Smile] Gotta take small steps.

Thanks !

[ 10-31-2007, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.