Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Genital Herpes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genital Herpes
JBelle88
Neophyte
Member # 35076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBelle88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time i've posted in this forum and it's nice to see there's others in my position and people who understand. I just have a couple questions to ask some people, I am feeling a bit depressed these days.. I was diagnosed with genital herpes alittle under a year ago. The first time I had an actual outbreak it was so bad and I haven't had it that bad since.. after that I didn't get it again for about half a year but it seems lately, I'm getting it every week!! I've had herpes simplex since I was little.. god knows how kids contract it and I used to get it really bad but I NEVER get those anymore unless i'm really stressed or have lack or sleep or.. something to that degree. But why am I getting the genital herpes every week? I use zovirax cream.. I haven't had the heart to tell anyone in my family about this, maybe someday but not right now. I say it's for my lips but yeah.. I just don't want to go through the cream so fast and it's the only thing I can afford.. which I'm FINE with. But is there something more wrong with me? I put it on, the sores go away.. I'm not having sex or anything like that and a week later it's aggitated again. I think this time it is because I shaved recently but honestly why am I getting it this often? I thought most people only got it a couple times a year? [Frown] When they say herpes effects you more mentally than physically.. I totally agree. It makes you feel like you don't deserve anyone special because of what you have. I shrugged it off for so long because I had already had the oral kind and I delt with that.. but this is rediculous.

I really hope that someday they find a cure for this sucker.

Posts: 1 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really suggest seeing your doctor and having him or her look into this because you really shouldn't be having breakouts THAT often.

Have they ever discussed taking one of the oral medications (as in, medication by mouth to prevent breakouts) with you? If that's not an option, for whatever reason, nor is seeing your doctor, I'd just take a look at your general health. Breakouts usually happen when you -- as you know -- are stressed out or your immune system is stressed. I'd also skip the shaving for now. One other thing you might consider is taking a holistic approach: a lot of people find success at fending off breakouts with an L-Lysine supplement, for instance, which you can get affordably at any natural foods store. Zinc is another good immune system booster, as is Vitamin C.

In terms of the issue of how kids contract it, with oral herpes, childhood is actually when most people with oral herpes get it: it's more often passed non-sexually than sexually. But genitals herpes is NOT generally contracted in childhood, since it usually IS sexually transmitted. So, unless we're looking at a person who was molested or raped as a child, generally, genital herpes patients will have contacted that once they became sexually active.

Regardless, while I know it's tough when you're feeling like this, I'd do what you could to remind yourself that this is an illness. It's not a plague, nor does it have anything at all to do with your value as a person, just like someone having diabetes has nothing to do with their value as a person.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.