Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » It's Like A Drug.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's Like A Drug.
XArexYouxGothlicX
Activist
Member # 34055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XArexYouxGothlicX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, cutting is like a drug,(just like the topic says.)I try to stop.

It's addicting.

I stopped for about three months, but I just started agian.

I mean, I could just be sitting here thinking. Now, mind you, when I think my mind travels. I could be thinking about the happiest thing in the world, then all of a sudden I want to cut.

My body and my mind needs to see the blood. To feel, and to know that I am alive. It's a coping method.

Yes, I do talk to a shrink, but sometimes that doesn't even help.

My mutter thinks that I have stopped. The sad thing is, is that she doesn't pay enough attention to me to check if there is anything wrong. We never talk.

My father, well doesn't really seem like a father. We barely talk over the phone.

I want to stop, but then I don't. I smile, through my tears, when I see the blood. I love the feeling after. When you get little bumps.

I don't tell anyone that I do it, because that is for attention. (I hate it when people do that.)

I am telling you, (whoever is reading this.)only because I am under a user name. If anyone as advice about this, please feel free to share.

--------------------
"It's just me and Da Kurlzz, we're taking over the world."

Posts: 75 | From: Belen, New Mexico | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand. You're unwilling to tell anyone you do it because that's "seeking attention", and yet you're upset that your mother doesn't notice? Do you see how you contradict yourself?

In short, it seems you are seeking attention. And you know what? That's what many people who are self-harming are seeking. They ARE hurting inside, they DO want to express that, but they often lack feeling like they can effectively communicate with the people around them, so deep down hope that someone DOES notice, even if nothing is ever said.

People don't deserve to be as scrutinized as they are for "seeking attention" through self-harming; sometimes they feel it's the only way to let others know how they feel.

Is it worth talking over with your counselor about ways to bring this up to your mom and work on communicating with her? Learning to talk to others about what you're dealing with is the first step to stopping the behavior.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XArexYouxGothlicX
Activist
Member # 34055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XArexYouxGothlicX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can talk to my friends just fine, about anything.

Yes, I do see where I contradict myself. Let's see if I can try this again.

I understand that, yes people who do self harm are seeking attention. What happens if they never tell anyone, like I do.

That, I guess is what I am confused about.

No. I am upset with the fact that my mother doesn't pay enough attention to me to notice there is something wrong. Doesn't mean I want her to know that I am self harming.

I can't tell her something, without her either laughing at me or seeming like she doesn't want to hear it. My shrink noticed that her and I don't have the best communication that we can have.

But I feel like a can't talk to her, because of what I said earlier. I mean, yeah I want to. But I am afraid of how she will re-act if that makes any sense.

--------------------

Posts: 75 | From: Belen, New Mexico | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, none of what Lauren said is to say cutting is or must always be 100% about wanting care or attention, though it pretty much always -- any sort of self-harm is -- does involve that element. And, as she said, there's nothing wrong with feeling you need more care than you're getting when you're in need.

For some -- I know this was part of it for me in my teens, too -- it can also be about distracting oneself from emotional pain with physical pain or sensation, or mirroring the emotional pain with the physical to make it more tangible or actual.

So, you say you can talk to your friends about anything, just fine: might you pick one to talk to about this, then? Just to take the secret out of the thing so you have to deal with it a bit more, you know? Might you also consider trying to talk to your Mom to tell her what you need? If verbal talking isn't working, how about a letter?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XArexYouxGothlicX
Activist
Member # 34055

I thank you guys for writing me. Um the only friend I feel I can talk to about this ... Is the friend that also cuts or use to I am not sure to which. But you see. Her and I have made a promise that we wouldn't cut anymore. I have broken it so many times. I feel guilty. And as for writing my mutter? It seems like a good idea, but I don't know if I could bring myself to do it. As I have promised her also. I am just scared.

--------------------

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's often the problem with making "promises" about doing or not doing things like this. When you stumble, it can feel like you've deliberately done something bad, when really you haven't. Don't worry about broken promises, because your health and well-being is much more important than anybody getting their undies in a bunch over a promise.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XArexYouxGothlicX
Activist
Member # 34055

Again, I thank you. [Smile] This site has helped a lot. Um. Although, and I don't mean to pester. But I am and have been writing a story for a long time. It has a lot of my emotions in it. Could that be a good outlet for when I feel like self-harming? [Confused]

--------------------

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly. If writing is something that is cathartic for you it's well worth trying the next time you feel like cutting.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueGender
Neophyte
Member # 33980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueGender     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Play a sport very aggresively [Big Grin]
Posts: 18 | From: WA, USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XArexYouxGothlicX
Activist
Member # 34055

Thank you. [Cool] But, BlueGender, I am not a sports person. Lawlz. I do appreciate your input though. [Big Grin] I try to write and I love it.

--------------------

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.