Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Social Anxiety

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Social Anxiety
realtor55
Activist
Member # 30533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for realtor55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a anxiety problem, i know it. im nervous at almost anything new in my life. change makes me nervous. i always feel like thers a ton of pressure on my shoulders. i have not come out with this issue and have tried to keep it in, fighting it because i dont want to be diagnosed with this disorder, it would probably ruin my goal of becoming some kind of first responder. are there any natural ways? meditation? different foods?
Posts: 52 | From: Carrigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, gotta say I'm sorry for what you are going through right now. Sure doesn't seem easy to deal with. [Frown]

Just a few questions : How long has it been going on for ? Is this constant anxiety/worries or does it come and go and appears only for example when faced with new changes in your life ? And may I have an example of ''new things in your life'' that happened to you and triggered anxiety ?

Is your anxiety issue something you've discussed with a doctor/psychiatrist or at least something you might think about doing ? Even discussing it with a school counselor or someone like that might help. She/he could reorientate you towards the proper ressources if need be.

It might help to know what you are looking at : if it's a somehow normal psychological reaction to stress or if it's a more pathological one that might be caracteristic of some sort of anxiety or adaptation disorder for example (which I can't diagnose here since I don't know all your history and since I am not even a psychiatrist)

Don't you think it would be maybe more easy to get help with it, than trying to fight it all alone and keep it in all inside ?

In the meantime, something you might wanna try, if you haven't already, is to do some easy relaxation techniques when your anxiety is at a high level. That might help a bit. Or, even just trying to do things to distract your mind from it whether it's playing a sport, listening to music, reading, what have you might help too. Are those things you've tried and found helped ?

[ 04-18-2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, getawy, review the replies I gave you to your last topic, here:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=001516;p=1#000000

I struggled with fairly severe social anxiety for awhile - I was unable to be in a shopping mall by myself until I was 17 because the thought of being alone in those crowds gave my panic attacks. For awhile, I would enter a restaurant or grocery store to get FOOD because I'd get so anxious being around people I know.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, hon, shouldering this weight by yourself is not something you have to do! Stress is a very real thing and it can be difficult to cope with how to balance everything in your life and deal with it, and it could be that right now you just need some advice or feedback on how best to go about doing that.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LFH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a psychologist about my depression and anxiety. Her suggestion for when my anxiety kicks it up a notch is to exercise- cardio, specifically. Take all that tension, and go for a jog- just run it out. Or if you have a punching bag, or something, go beat up on that. It'll help relieve some of the tension, and give you lots of endorphins- the body's natural feel-good hormone.

I also have personally found sex/masturbation to be a really good reliever of stress. I don't have any scientific backing for this on hand, right now... but I do highly recommend it!

How bad is your anxiety, anyway? Is it just feeling tense, all the time, or do you also get panic attacks? If you are prone to panic attacks, then I strongly recommend talking to a doctor about this, and possibly some sort of anti-anxiety medication. I take Clonazepam for mine, and it works nicely. A word of caution against Seroquel, though; if your doctor wants to put you on this drug, really make sure that you need it, first. I was on Seroquel not too long ago, and while it's not physically addicting, the withdrawal is terrible.

You may not need drugs at all, though. Talk with a doctor, discuss your options, and make sure you communicate to your doctor that drugs are a last resort, only. There are plenty of options for you, so be sure to take advantage of them.

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
realtor55
Activist
Member # 30533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for realtor55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after my girlfriend left, everything makes me nervous. i hide it well, but, im nervous constantly... i dont freak out and start panting heavily, i just get a nervous feeling all over.
Posts: 52 | From: Carrigan | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LFH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest talking to a doctor about this, then. I'm not a mental health expert, but it sounds like you might have some sort of anxiety disorder. Feeling nervous all the time, like you described, is generally not a good thing, and a doctor ought to be able to suggest potential remedies.

Have you tried anything suggested in this thread, yet? If so, did anything work?

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Posts: 22 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
realtor55
Activist
Member # 30533

Well, as I said, its anxiety due to something new, like basketball, im always afriad of letting the team down or screwing up, so ive been skipping my games, my coach has been getting mad at me, i dont know why, i just get way too nervous, it should be fun, but its making me hate basketball =\
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

I really, really recommend talking to a doctor or counselor about this. It sounds like you really do have an anxiety disorder, and are in need of more help than what we can offer you, here.

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

realtor55
Activist
Member # 30533

no, its no disorder, im not nervous about meeting people or talking to people, just new things, its like im afraid of change and i get anxious about it? the only thing that makes me nervous in my life is basketball, thats it.
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety (whethere you're just dealing with situational anxiety or a more deeply-rooted problem) isn't just about realting with new people or interacting with them - the fact that you're skipping games because you're afraid of letting your team down? That's AVOIDANCE related to anxiety, and it is a serious thing - your anxiety is interfering with your life (and as an aside, I'm sure you've realized this, but not going to a game to avoid letting down your team is a bit counter-productive, as you're letting them down by not going there, eh?)

I understand your reluctance to seek help, but if you're not going to look into anything we're suggesting - be it meditating, diet/health changes, concious, cognative exercises to try and help your overcome your nerves, or seeking counseling, I'm not really sure HOW we can help you here.

So please, look into doing something, to talking to someone whether it's a parent, trusted adult, teacher, school counselor, doctor, therapist, etc. - get someone in the know so you can help and move on from there so you can start tackling your nerves and worries, okay?

(And from what you've described in your post - this ISN'T just from basketball, you've very clearly stated that since your relationship ended you've been feeling nervous all the time, so trying to change your words and avoid acknowledging and handeling this isn't really going to work or help you here, alright? We want to help you, but we can't do it if you're not willing to actively participate, too)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
realtor55
Activist
Member # 30533

what i mean to say is that im nervous all the time, because of basketball, im sorry if it seemed the other way.
LFH
Neophyte
Member # 33487

Like Dailicious said, I don't think we can help you any more than we have. Please talk to someone about this- a doctor or counselor, ideally.

--------------------
Liberal Feminist Hippie

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.