Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Mental Illness Support Groups?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mental Illness Support Groups?
Emily 249
Neophyte
Member # 28956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily 249     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if anyone here knew of any support groups for people who know others with schizophrenia. I've been able to find a few online communities for schizophrenics, but so far zip on anything targeting family/loved ones.

My previously mentioned schizophrenic boyfriend is going through another paranoid episode and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. There are maybe three people who know about his condition (he understandably doesn't want to broadcast it) and their support is rather limited. They don't understand that his paranoid spells aren't something I can "talk him out of". It's frustrating, and all I really want is someone I can talk to who can relate to the situation.

Any suggestions for where I can go to for more sympathetic support?

Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lolo123
Neophyte
Member # 32065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lolo123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Hun.. Your Situation Sounds Terrible And I Hope These Contacts May Help You:
1. SANE- www.sane.org.uk (especially for relatives of sufferers)
2. MIND- www.mind.org.uk

Their websites are good, and you may be able to contact someone from them. In the mean time, try and cope... your probably doing so well already. Good Luck..x

Posts: 25 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing those links, lolo.

Emily, how about contacting one of those communities about support groups for family/friends? A big question: Has he found a pyschologist near campus yet? That's another person you can go to for resources.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily 249
Neophyte
Member # 28956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily 249     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, he has, thankfully. It'd be nice if this one sticks -- his last one told The Boy point-blank after a few months that he couldn't help him. I'm going to refrain from all the colorful words I could use right now and settle on saying that finding a decent doctor/therapist is such a "hit or miss" thing.

Thanks for the links. I'm just going a little crazy trying to find someone who can sympathize. Just today a girl in my psychology class accused schizophrenics of "faking it". Ignorance really can be baffling sometimes.

Posts: 39 | From: United States | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone with a schizophrenic aunt, I can absolutely sympathize. In my experience, at least, people can be so incredibly rude, undereducated, and just plain (excuse my use of the word) stupid about mental illnesses. So many people I know make jokes about schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, and anything and everything else, not understanding how hurtful their comments can be to people who have these conditions or who are close to people who suffer from them.

I hope the links lolo provided work out well for you, and the best of luck.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.