Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Teacher Death

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teacher Death
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did mention this in my Villiage People thread, but I'm posting it here also because I guess I need some support.

I just found out (like, a few minutes ago) that my Biology teacher died on Friday of a heart attack. I'm still pretty much in denial about it; I can't fathom how it could possibly have happened. I didn't even really know him that well, but I did see him nearly every morning for fifty minutes. He was a really vibrant, funny, crazy-lovable guy. I just don't understand. I don't know what to do.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be hard to fathom why things like this happen, especially when they happen to good people.

Does your school offer grief counseling, or are they planning on it? During times such as these, you are certainly not the only one feeling this way, and it may take some time before things settle. Talking to a counselor, friend, or other faculty member may help you feel better.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they're offering grief counseling all this week. But I feel a little awkward about going. I mean, I'm just not good at talking about things like that. Plus, I don't know. I guess I feel kind of like I'm not entitled to be grieving at all, because like I said, I really didn't know him particularly well. And the whole thing still seems so surreal.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sweetie, NEVER feel like you're not entitled to grieve. Death whenever it happens, to whomever it happens, whether they were close to you or not, can be a very difficult thing to face and deal with. Your biology teacher, even if you didn't know him particularly well, still had a role in your life, and you're entirely entitled to be feeling confused/saddened/whatever you may be feeling because of his death.

In my sophomore year of highschool, a Senior student died in a climbing accident. I didn't know him well personally, but I had spoken to him a couple times, and he was just one of those incredibly impactful people full of vitality. When I found out, I sat in my room and just cried. It was such a shock when he died, because he seemed so invincible, so I believe many people who were impacted by his death were so not necessarily because they knew him well or were close to him, but because his death hit so close to home and made everyone have to look at the reality of death.

Everyone processes events and emotions in their own ways, and it's fine if it takes you some time for it to set in, heck sometimes it just doesn't set in entirely after years. So, take your time, and go to the counseling if you'd like to this week, or maybe after you've had a little more time to process this, you may find you want to talk to someone later on, and I'm SURE your school counselors wouldn't turn you away just because you didn't come to talk right after the event.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add to dailicious and Jam's excellent points: If you're feeling up to it, you could write a note to his family, who'd surely really appreciate hearing your positive words. It could be short and simple, to use your words even, just: "I didn't even really know him that well, but I did see him nearly every morning for fifty minutes. He was a really vibrant, funny, crazy-lovable guy." [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

I did think about writing a letter to his family, but had some trouble coming up with something to say. I suppose I might have another go at it, though. It'd be a nice thing to do, for them and for me.
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, BiGoddess! It's better to write something than nothing, and something four sentences long is fine! You can put your draft here if you want some feedback: just set the goal of doing the draft tonight and sending it tomorrow so it's good and done? Suggestion: If you can give a concrete example ("I really enjoyed Mr. ____'s lesson on cell structure where we made an edible cell out of jello, M&M's and twizzlers. It helped me ace the quiz and I'll always think of biology when I make jello.") would be especially nice.

Here are a few example sites:
http://www.wendy.com/letterwriting/condolences.html
http://www.keene.edu/counseling/condolenceletter.cfm
http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/sum03/condolence.html

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.