Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » My dreams are disturbing me :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My dreams are disturbing me :(
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost made myself a new account to post this because I feel so embarrassed, but then remembered it's against the rules, so decided to suck it up and post as I feel I need to get things off my chest.

For quite some time now, I've been having very very vivid dreams, most of which don't make sense, but I can still remember them from weeks/months ago.
Lately, these dreams have been getting more and more..unpleasant.

Some lately have had a little to do with situations in life, but most do not, and it's bad.
A couple of weeks ago I dreamt of a very very vivid plane crash. Right near my house. I remember every detail, and it's still kinda freaking me out. I remember the weather, the noise, where it crashed, that people had died, who I was with and what I did.
In the past week or so, I have had dreams of a different nature..They involve sexual abuse towards me, someone forcing me around. And the thing is, which scares me the most, is that I kind of enjoyed these dreams. Like I almost want it to happen, but that feels so wrong to me [Frown] it feels wrong wanting it. I know that if it really did happen, it would be totally different and I would no doubt dislike it very much, but the fact that I'm dreaming these things is bad enough to think about.

When I went to the doctors last I told him my sleep had been disturbed, other than the fact I wake up a lot, wake up sweating but cold, and the dreams. I told him about the plane crash but I couldn't tell him about the rape type/sexual abuse as my grandma was there with me -.- He told me talking about it can help but I can't get therapy anymore.

I am tired physically and mentally because of these dreams and I suppose I needed to get it off my chest, and maybe get some reassurance? [Frown] thanks.

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to have hideous night terrors. my mother told me to meditate before going to sleep. and sure enough, the terrors stopped.

there was a superstitious/religious tone to her advice, though. she replaced my Buddha necklace and gave me a specific mantra to recite.

you don't have to go that far with it (esp. since you're probably not a Buddhist). But i'd bet that regular meditation could relieve a lot of the stress that's leading to your nightmares.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried meditation once or twice and I find it rather difficult I must say [Razz] But thankyou very much for your advice [Smile]
My mum said it's most likely down to the medication we are both on, as she suffers from it too. (Efexor Venlafaxine)
I am now trying to get myself as tired as I possibly can before going to try and sleep as I don't want to have to think much etc.

Posts: 165 | From: England. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like the medicine really could be the reason for your current funky dreams, NoisyPink. (I know I've referred you to this thread before, but maybe you could bump it to talk about its effect on sleep.)

Getting some exercise during the day (a brisk walk, etc.) might help you sleep better at night. What about reading a book or writing in a journal before you go to sleep as a way to get feelings out or get your mind somewhere better?

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SatisfactionBroughtItBack
Activist
Member # 33027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SatisfactionBroughtItBack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NoisyPinkBubbles,I know how you feel.
A few years ago I used to have terryfying dreams that made me wake up in a cold sweat,go sleep walking,or have fits.
We never discovered why it was that this happened to me as I wasnt on any medication at the time and there was nothing stressful in my environment.
But something I found stopped or at least eased these horrible dreams was a walk in the night.
It need not be far,even just your back garden.
I always found that just before I went to sleep,taking a short walk outside in the night air and taking deep,slow breaths helped tremendously.
Taking a few moments to just look at the sky and clear your head of any thoughts helps tons.
Hope that helps!
XXXTailsXXX

--------------------
ROCK LOBSTER!!!!
I love you Sonic :)

Posts: 50 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a great idea Tails! Thankyou! [Big Grin] I will certainly start to do that ^.^
Last night I dreamt I had mumps, and my boyfriend was washing in cherryade, because it had no sugar [Roll Eyes] I've recently started talking in my sleep again eek.
I'm sorry to hear your dreams were that bad Tails [Frown] it must have been pretty horrible! [Frown]
Thankyou so much for your advice [Smile]
xxx

SatisfactionBroughtItBack
Activist
Member # 33027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SatisfactionBroughtItBack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No probblemo XXXXX

--------------------
ROCK LOBSTER!!!!
I love you Sonic :)

Posts: 50 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Light
Activist
Member # 32327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Light     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This person reported similar, but perhaps more drastic effects with effexor
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=46462
and this person reported hallucination while on effexor, though IMHO this report looks less reliable.
http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=45842

(While the content of the links is fine, the site linked is a site about the effect of drugs on the human body, and may be blocked in schools and such for the drug content)

There seem to be a lot of reports of strange, and frightening dreams here, and reports of nasty withdrawl symptoms.
http://www.medications.com/go/se/Effexor?&page=3

You may want to consider talking to your doctor about this

Posts: 70 | From: Nova | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostie
Activist
Member # 28874

Thankyou so much for the links [Smile] Very interesting, and familiar [Frown]
I too am sad that my doctor didn't tell me about the side effects. If I miss a dose for even a few hours I get the electric shocks people talk about.
I don't think I have any other choice but to stay on the drug, as it seems to be the only thing that is working for my anxiety. My depression however is coming back.
My mother too is on the drug and we are both dreading the day we have to come off it.
I will speak to my doctor soon. [Smile]

MentalMischief
Neophyte
Member # 35152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MentalMischief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although understandably you find these dreams disturbing and disruptive, don't add to this by feeling bad. You can't control your dreams, remember! =)

Sexuality can come out in many weird ways in dreams, some of those ways are, as you know, not very nice.
Aside from your medication, anxieties about yourself could also be having an effect.

Good luck with the doc! [Smile]

Posts: 23 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.