Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Cybersex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cybersex
bugsy182
Neophyte
Member # 32374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugsy182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time I was addicted to cybersex.
It started as an easy and anonymous way to explore sexually, then it turned into an addiction.
I was doing it every night; all night. And when I wasn't I was depressed/angry, I wasn't me at all.
I started the cybersex in 8th grade. I stopped/my parents stopped me in 10th grade.
But, now I am a freshman in college and there are no parents or anything. And I am worried.
I have done it a few times. And I don't want it to become a problem again.
I want to find a support group/any support in this situation.

--------------------
~Becca

"You could spend your whole life preserving it, but never really doing anything with it."

Posts: 31 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about this challenge, Becca. I don't know of any legit support groups off the top of my head, but maybe someone else can give you a lead.

It's good to be aware of negative past behaviors popping back up. However, it's not so much the cybersex that was bad, but that it was an addiction. Chances are that other factors, such as an underlying depression, were at play. I would recommend seeking professional help to find alternatives and coping strategies for the long-run. (And you absolutely shouldn't feel ashamed for it or for being a female dealing with something people might assume is more common among men.) What about looking into campus counselling services? (You don't immediately have to give details when making the appointment; you could say it's an internet addiction to help match you up with a fitting counselor.)

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you personally feel you gain by engaging in cybersex? Do you crave a certain kind of attention? Validation? Or is it from sexual compulsion?

If you feel that the behavior is really interfering with your regular life, have you considered talknig to a counselor?

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.