Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Planned Parenthood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Planned Parenthood
Ana Simone
Neophyte
Member # 30361

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Ana Simone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm not sure if this post is in the appropriate category, so feel free to move me if need be)

I have long been disappointed in the staff at my (only) local planned parenthood. Not only I, but my sisters, friends, and coworkers have been broken hearted over their perpetual nasty, apathetic attitudes. I understand what it's like to be in the customer service industry and BY FAR I know how demanding people can be, but this is not appetizers and dessert -- this is birth control and pregnancy. I feel almost violated that the one place we should be able to turn to is throwing us under the bus. Has anyone else had this problem in their home town? Because these are the only affordable services around, do we have to take it with a grain of salt?

[ 01-25-2007, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Natasha S ]

Posts: 18 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a fine place to put it, and I also think it's 100% valid and vital to have concerns about quality healthcare, which INCLUDES being treated well through the whole process.

What I'd suggest you do in this case, is perhaps organize a group letter to send to both your local branch and to National PP with your complaints. With something like PP, which is a large organization, you are going to see differences in care from branch to branch. However, any given branch should absolutely be holding to the quality of care the overarching organization says it provides.

And that's not really about being affordable or sliding scale: even with sliding scale clinics, you deserve and have a right to expect quality care.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ana Simone
Neophyte
Member # 30361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Simone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesnt sound like a bad idea at all, in fact I know I have to express this to their organization somehow, only I hate to sign my name to anything that they will see knowing that I will have to go back there eventually and face the music. Call it cowardly, but I imagine it as the medical equivalent of a waiter spitting in your food.

For young people seeking anonymity, or people of low income there simply is nowhere else to go. You will either accept what they have to offer you, or fork up the money for a family doctor.

I'm trying to understand - do these clinicians get paid considerably less for working in this organization? Or are they simply volunteers? Why do they behave as if they don't owe us so much as a smile, much less a comforting word?

[ 01-25-2007, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Natasha S ]

Posts: 18 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
only I hate to sign my name to anything that they will see knowing that I will have to go back there eventually and face the music. Call it cowardly, but I imagine it as the medical equivalent of a waiter spitting in your food.
Not at ALL. In fact, my experience is either a) the administration and the practicing staff just don't have that level of communication: information that things need to change will filter down, but not what patients said what.

Or, b) that if they DO know, or if you even TELL them outright you said something about the lack of quality care, they'll work much harder to do a better job. That's my experience, anyway, but I should add a caveat that I am not a timid person, and have no qualms being very confident and authoritative with things like this.

Certainly, no one is getting rich working in clinic practice rather than private, and it should be mentioned that working at clinics like PP which also provide abortion services can, especially in certain areas, be ungodly stressful and really wear a person down. BUT. It's their job to manage any burnout or stress and not put that on patients.

There are some other options, though. Now and then, for instance, for various sorts of care as someone uninsured and often low-income, I've just worked my phone book to find doctors willing to do payment plans. So, if you'd prefer private care, that's an option. Another is looking into if your state or city has any clinics of its own.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.