Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » post abortion support

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: post abortion support
belowzer0
Neophyte
Member # 15095

Icon 4 posted      Profile for belowzer0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
having a really difficult time and just wanted to know if anyone knows of any good post abortion/p.a.s.s. support groups i could contact.

--------------------
Eyes.are.feeling.heavy.but.they.never.seem.to.close.The.fan.blades.on.the.ceiling.spin.but.the.air.is.never.cold. -yellowcard

Posts: 19 | From: xnorthxcarolinax | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belowzer0,

I'm sorry to hear you're have such a difficult time.

Here are some older threads:
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000814
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000004.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000004.html

Here's an article from the mainsite:
http://www.scarleteen.com/crisis/granny.html

Here's a website recommended by another volunteer awhile back:
http://afterabortion.com/

How about calling the clinic where you had the abortion for the name of an in-person group or a counselor they'd recommend? If you type in your zip code or state here: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/findCenterProcess.asp you can find the closest Planned Parenthood office near you; they could also point you in the way of some resources.

And, of course, we're here for you in this thread, too. <3

[ 11-23-2006, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if you want to talk about it here, you can as well.

For instance, what are you having a hard time with, exactly: emotional or physical, and in either case, what parts?

How did you feel going into the abortion? During? After?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I regret having an abortion. It was only a month ago so maybe I need more time. I'm in a different country now. I lie and tell people here that I had a miscarriage. I wish I had explored my feelings and not been so stuck on being logical before I went through with it.
I break down reading anything about pregnancy or seeing pictures. I can't wait until I am in a position in life to have a baby.
The good side of the whole experience is it brought me closer to my mom, and it confirmed my desire to have children. But I can't stop thinking "I'm supposed to be four months pregnant."

Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to bear in mind and honor is the fact that no matter what choice a woman makes with a pregnancy, you also have some hormonal effects no matter what (with abortion, not to the same level that women who deliver full-term do, but to some extent) and that no matter what, it's a big experience, a life-changing one, and most women are going to have very strong, complex feelings about it.

And it's a given that whatever those feelings are, they're valid and they're real.

Where are you at right now, shh? I ask, because we could likely help you find a support group if you want one.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shh
Activist
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Edinburgh, Scotland. I don't know what the laws are here or the attitudes I might face. I am also worried in case I need ECP because I like to have some on hand and I don't know what the laws are here.
Posts: 40 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Per the ECPs, you know, you could have a friend stateside send you some by post.

Though, can I ask why you're concerned about needing them? Other than general concerns, are you with a partner or partners who won't backup whatever birth control method you're using with condom use?

Pretty, pretty Edinburgh!

In parts of the UK, abortion law and policy is pretty restricted, but you can still likely find support. What I'd suggest is contacting a Book centre -- http://www.brook.org.uk/content/ -- or BPAS in London, which also has offices in Scotland (08457 30 40 30) -- either of whom can likely help you get connected to some support.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

shh
Activist
Member # 6929

I don't plan to be sexually active here (boyfriend is stateside) but just in case I do something stupid and go home with somebody, or get into a bad situation. I don't ever want to put myself through the ordeal of having an (I sruggle with the adjective here) unplanned pregnancy again. I was on BCP the first time and obviously messed them up, so it makes me nervous.

Have you been to Edinburgh? I have not been here long enough to know my way around but I will try to find the resource you suggested.

Heather
Member # 3

Per the first: I hear you. Like I said, you can have a friend in the states send you some, and you can also get information on getting it where you are directly via the NHS: 0845 42 42 424. If you're over 16, however, you should be able to get it OTC at any pharmacy, too.

Just do yourself a favor and remember that STIs are also a concern, and there's really nothing to do after-the-fact with those. Pregnancy is such a big deal, that it can be easy -- even without meaning to -- to feel like if we lived through a pregnancy or abortion that anything else is a cakewalk or a nonissue. So, obviously, you'll want to be sure you're doing your level best NOT to get into a "bad situation" or doing something stupid, and keeping condoms handy if you choose to be sexually active is just as vital as having EC handy, okay?

I also know that when you're feeling remorse or guilt for something, it's easier to be self-destructive, so be sure you're in tune with your emotional needs so that you can be sure you're not putting yourself into bad places or risks on purpose as self-punishments.

I have been to Edinburgh, and it's beautiful.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.