Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Estranged Father Wanting Back in my Life...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Estranged Father Wanting Back in my Life...
sexualghost
Activist
Member # 26692

Icon 11 posted      Profile for sexualghost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright...i guess i could use some advice or input from people anyone really cuz at this point i'm at a loss into what my gut's telling me.

To the point... A few weeks ago my uncle/godfather was at a conference..and much to his surprise my father was there, who i haven't seen since i was 12 i am now 19. My father asked my uncle to pass along some information to me in which he did...my dad basicly asked me to call him because he wanted to talk.

I really don't know what i should do, part of me wants to call him and talk to him and ask him a $#!^ load of questions and possibly yell but another part of me doesn't want to for some sort of fear or something like that. I really don't know what i should do...i'm losing sleep over this and it's stressing me out.

Posts: 42 | From: Drifter | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having trouble answering this post w/o knowing more information.

Why are you estranged from your father? What are you worried is going to happen if you let him back into your life now? What do your friends and family think of this?

Is it possible to set up a meeting with your father with someone else (maybe your uncle/godfather) present?

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexualghost
Activist
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexualghost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Essentially my dad just packed up and left without saying a word to me, or anyone for that matter my parents were divorced long before this happened...I'm not entirely sure what i'm worried about...i've just recently gotten over a depression, and i guess i'm just scared that its going to resurface...

As for setting up a meeting, i don't think that'll fly most of my family don't think to highly of him and most likely wouldn't want me to put myself in that position...but i don't know.

Posts: 42 | From: Drifter | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you forgiven your dad for leaving without saying goodbye? Or leaving at all?

What do you have to gain/lose from getting back in touch with him?

Perhaps letters back and forth may be a good way to restart a relationship with your dad. This gives you time to think about what you want to say to him, and doesn't put either of you on the spot to come up w/ a quick response. And if you don't like what you're reading, you don't have to write back.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexualghost
Activist
Member # 26692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexualghost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...that's a good idea...i think i'll try it...

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.