Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » counseling.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: counseling.
CJHNpantherspirit23
Neophyte
Member # 28121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJHNpantherspirit23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its come to my attention that I need help.

See I am only 14 years old.

I have smoked pot, done morphine and hydrocodene, and gotten drunk...multiple times.
I losted my virginity, being drunk.

I lie all the time, just to go out and do these things.

I had a really great boyfriend, who doesnt do any of it.
And tryed his hardest to help me.
He actually when into the relationship to help me.
I ended up cheating and lying to him.
Hurt him really bad.
But he loves me, and doesnt want to see me hurt myself.
Hes taken me back through all of this.
Unlike most guys who would just say im done with you.
I realize this,but I continued to do these things.
I still want to do these things, even though I know nothing good comes from it.
I love my boyfriend(now ex).
But I still lie and continue to do those things.
I myself dont know why I do it.
It kills me to see myself hurt him.

And Im not just doing this for him, Im doing this for myself.
I want to stop but I dont know how.
Everyone around me wants me to stop.
He thinks I need counseling.
But I cant break it to my mom..what I'v done.
I want to stop.
But its like im addicted.

Anyone have any advice on what to do?

Posts: 21 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CJHNpantherspirit23,

As cliche as this may sound, you really are stepping in the right direction by realizing that you need help. All of what you've been doing -- drug and alcohol use, irresponsible sexual activities -- are a serious risk to your well-being and health. You do need help; the sooner the better. You should be really proud of yourself for coming to terms with that.

Is there any way at all that you could talk to your mom, or any family member who is close to you? Though they may be shocked or even angry, family members are often a good source of support, both emotional and financial.

If talking to a close adult isn't possible, you have several options.

The number for the National Drug & Alcohol Treatment Hotline is 1-800-662-HELP. They may be able to assist you in finding resources in your area.

Or, you could look up community mental health services in your area. Do you go to school? A school counselor can be of help, even if only to refer you to places that can assist you better.

[ 07-05-2006, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJHNpantherspirit23
Neophyte
Member # 28121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJHNpantherspirit23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called the number.

But all they did was give me numbers for treatment centers.

Unless I was supposed to tell them whats going on?
Do they give advice?

Posts: 21 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a service meant to point you to resources to get the help you need: rehab/addiction treatment isn't something someone can do over the phone.

So, everyone around you, you say, wants you to get help: they, then, can help you get started on treatment with one of those centers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for a hotline for crisis support, I couldn't recommend Covenant House enough.

Their Nineline number is 1-800-999-9999.

They handle all sorts of problems for teens in crisis, including depression, drugs and alcohol, abuse and neglect, etc.

You can also check out their website:

http://www.covenanthouse.org/nineline/

They can help talk you through your problems, and formulate a plan to go through with whatever decision you reach.

{Edit} As Miz S pointed out above, nobody you call will be able to give you all the help you need. These hotlines exist to help people evaluate their problems, decide what to do, and help them find resources in their area.

[ 07-05-2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Miss Lauren ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJHNpantherspirit23
Neophyte
Member # 28121

Im sort of..shy to call and tell someone my problems..

is that what im supposed to do?

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

You can try first talking to people around you who want to help you. Any family members who have expressed concern? How about your ex-boyfriend, if you're still on good terms?

That's exactly what crisis hotlines exist for. You simply call and tell them that you're having a very difficult time right now. The people on the other line are trained to help you sort through your thoughts and offer support.

CJHNpantherspirit23
Neophyte
Member # 28121

i called.

she helped me and gave me a support groups number.

but i will probably have to have parents approval.
and i dont want to tell my mom.
even though my boyfriend already supposivly has.

its hard for me to talk to him..because he doesnt think im really trying to quit.
maybe because iv lied and cheated on him in the past.
so he doesnt really trust me anymore.
and i told him i was going to quit before.

i sort of want to do this on my own.
not with my moms help.
but i cant prove that to him , that iv quit.
unless i go to a support group or counseling.

-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

The thing is, you can only do so much on your own. You've summoned the willpower to admit your problem and take steps towards getting well. That's very admireable.

While community support groups are often free of charge, it's very likely that you will need professional counseling, and perhaps even time in rehab, as part of your treatment plan. In that case, you will need both emotional and financial support. Is it likely that your mom could provide either?

Yes, your mother may be shocked or even angry at first, but most parents will do whatever they must to make sure their kids stay well-- regardless of what they've done.

We give this same advice to girls who are pregnant; imagine the health risks to them and their unborn children if they go without medical care simply because they're scared of telling their parents. For you, those risks go double.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.