Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Advice On Flying

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice On Flying
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a trip tomorrow that's about 3 hrs long. I've only taken 1 trip before, when I was about 6 with my family. I'm 15 now and this time I'm going by myself and meeting my mom there, but I'm still afraid.
I've been realy nervous this whole day (and it dosent make it any better that I have exams next week either!)so does anyone have any advice on how to calm my nerves before I get on?
I know I will be fine, but I keep thinking that something will go wrong, or if I do think that something will go wrong, that something actually will! I guess I'm paranoide, but I'd still like some advice or just some reasurance. Thanks guys!

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didnít need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwk23
Activist
Member # 29212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pwk23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I live clear across the country from my family, because I chose to go to university really far away, so I make the cross-country trip several times a year. I never get a direct flight there, either, so it's always full of fun, delayed transfers and the multiple flights + layovers end up being upwards of 8-10 hours total and stuff. Sounds like a quick, straight flight for you, so be grateful at least that the likelihood of your luggage getting lost is lower and that you will not miss a connecting flight and end up sleeping in the airport in the middle of a massive thunderstorm!

As for nerves, it really depends on what you find relaxing. Even though I've flown upwards of 8 times a year for the last 3 years, I still get really nervous when I fly. I guess it's kind of the disbelief that a giant hunk of metal actually lifts itself into the year, you know? Anyways, find something that DISTRACTS you and you should be fine. Listen to (soothing!) music on an iPod, read a favorite book of yours, play a video game on a handheld, do some crossword or Sudoku puzzles, watch a DVD on a laptop, do something fun! I tend to resist buying magazines for a week or two before my flight, and then when I get to the airport I allow myself to splurge and buy my favorite ones so I have something new to look forward to reading on the flight. Keep your mind busy with other stuff and the time will fly by and you'll totally forget your nerves [Smile] .

Posts: 47 | From: WA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was some excellent advice, pwk23.

I also was very nervous for my first flight(s) by myself, and b/c I tend to have panic attacks if I get very tense, I went to a natural foods store and bought a tiny little jar(s) of essence of lavender and chamomile. Both are calming herbs, and a few sniffs really helped me relax while I was on the plan, and during boarding.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you guys [Smile] I'm leaving right now, but I'll try the advice you gave to me pwk23! And I'll bring a candle or something to so I can give it a few sniffs aswell!

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didnít need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first flying experience was . . uh . . not fun! I was nervous, extremely nervous, it was a few months after 9-11 when things were becoming normal for flying again. Once I got on, though, and got into the air, I thought, "Nothing this beautiful could be dangerous". It was peaceful. That and the fact that a police officer was disguised right beside me. (I saw his ring on his hand and whispered to my mother that it was a cop. Evidentally he heard me because he winked.)

Then, afterwards at the luggage claim, I didn't see him and I had a discussion with my mom. A lady came to us and said yes, there are two officers on every flight (or atleast for the airlines we were flying with - not sure). Now, I'm not sure how it is now, but at that time they were really enforcing security.

I was more worried about hijackers than I was about an actual crash or anything of the like. Besides, you are just as likely to get killed in a car crash on level land than in the air or on a boat, etc. Car crashes happen more frequently. Thousands every day. Planes take off every minute and how often do we hear something going wrong?

That settled me. I don't know how helpful it will be. You have probably already flown by now . . I'm just rambling. [Big Grin]

How did it go?

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Thanks for asking!

It actualy went pretty well! Turns out I knew someone on the plane, so that helped a lot. I also brought things to do and bought a book before I left. I got a little candle that I smelt sometimes aswell [Smile] Its good to know that there police on the plane!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it really helped!

--------------------

oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, knowing someone on the plane? Thats pretty awesome. I'm sure it doesn't happen often. . atleast not as often as . .uh . . seeing someone you know while taking a bus to the other side of the city. Lucky you!

I'm looking forward to flying next month, back to see my family in florida. Thinking about it while reading your thread has got me more amped. [Big Grin]

Glad you had fun!

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.