Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » bigger step...Finally!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bigger step...Finally!
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just referred to a new doctor. A nuerologist. I just got back from the appt and When he was asking me what happened in my life that was traumatic, and the usual shrink/therapist/counselor questions to get to know absolutely EVERYTHING that has happened in yourl ife that makes you feel the way you do. The one thing that I never could do out loud. Admit that I had been raped, I did today. And, it wasnt as hard as I thought. I mean sure it was difficult, but it doesnt have to sound as nasty as RAPE. I told my doctor that I was sexually asulted/abused when I was 15. Now of course that doesn't make the idea all pretty and glamorous, but it sure does sound a little better, and I feel great. I know this doesnt mean I'm "recovered" but hey, Its a step to getting my life back, and Dammit I am thrilled! I couldnt be more proud of myself. Thats one step further to the settling of this battle. Just thought I'd share that info with you! Thanks to all of you who have helped!
Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OnlySupernova
Neophyte
Member # 26838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OnlySupernova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad you found a doctor you felt comfortable telling. *hug*
Posts: 6 | From: Fulton, MO, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's fantastic! You're right to be so proud of yourself, it's a huge (and tough) step to take. Awesome!
Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 10 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
well done
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 12 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! It is definitely a huge thing. Mostly, I hate going to female doctors. I don't know why, you would think I wouldnt want to go to a male doctor - considering my past - BUT, she was absolutely fabulous. She was a rape victim herself, and she suffers from depression, but being a doctor, she has learned to overcome it, and focus more on helping those who are in her shoes. As soon as I said that, she came across her desk, put her hand on my shoulder, and said I know exactly how you feel. She knew how hard it was for me. I have an appt Friday, and I hated going to therapy before, or any type of apt that makes me talk about things that were hurtful for me. I am actually looking forward to it. Its nice to finally be able to trust someone, which is really different for me. I have this huge trust issue now, but maybe things will start looking up for me. Thanks for the support, everyone! Really! Thanks!

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really inspirational to hear, oOo Lea oOl! I hope it goes well on Friday as well.
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys (girls)! It has been a while since I have posted a topic or reply on here. I just wanted to update my last post by saying my new doctor has a major impact on my life. ALready! Things are looking up for me now. I still struggle, and it isn't at all easy, but I know now that I can't really expect it to be. Its life, its complicated! But, now, I have a new way deal with anything that gets "thrown" my way. Everyone here has been a LOT of help to me as well and I will continue to post here! Thanks!!!

ceresbaistat
Activist
Member # 23736

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ceresbaistat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! *does a little happy dance*

I remember my first psych session. It was so scarey! But she was awesome and really helped.

Just wanted to add a little testimony and a congratulations.

Posts: 52 | From: Seabrook, TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.