Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » yet again...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: yet again...
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone
One month of summer left and I'm still having problems regarding my parents and the whole JOB situation.
Quick background- I entered the summer confident that with my two jobs I would be able to fulfill my parent's rule of working 40 hours a week. However, despite their promises, my bosses never gave me enough work beyond the first week or two of summer. Actually, one job was at a restaurant and suddenly I wasn't "needed" anymore because business slowed down so much. Well. My parents gave me SUCH a hard time. I UNDERSTAND that in our society you NEED to work because you NEED money to do pretty much anything. I immediately began scrounging for jobs- ANY job a 17 year old would be qualified for- without success. The things my parents, esp. my stepmom, said to me during this time wore down heavily on my confidence. I'm still dealing with some feelings of complete incapability and inferiority. Because I couldn't find decent work I moved on and now do 5 hours of community service at a soup kitchen every day. I'm FINE with it. I know it isn't paying, but both myself and the people in the community we, at the kitchen, serve are benefitting from it.
Silly me. I believed my bosses, or had too much faith in their word, before school was out. I turned down a full time position just after I landed my second job (bus girl at restaurant) because I was guaranteed set hours that already had me working full time.
I'm frustrated. I see people around me- People who dropped out of HS, people who talk back to their bosses, people who could care less about the customers and just want money to pay the bills- landing jobs in a snap.
I'm also frustrated because summer is winding down and at this late date my parents are restarting their harassment. It really makes me feel like I suck at life. And I could continue to look for a job right now, but I'd only hold it for a month.... And I need to visit colleges (+have interviews), do my Sr. project, read 6 books for school (just got the summer rdg list last week), etc. during the month of august. My parents know all this.
I just don't know what to do anymore; I have many ideas but they'll all lead to the same places, I believe.
Having my license would help.
Having a ride would kind of help.
I test for my license the first week of august... *crosses fingers*. As of now it's up to me to walk or bike for transportation. And I do.
I've already made a list of ALL of the local locations at which I will be applying in JANUARY '06 so that I will go into next summer with a SECURE job. Complete with phone numbers, addresses, and names of managers.
I started out believing that I was doing something horribly wrong. But it never added up because I'm a hard worker. I guess things just haven't been working out for me. Again

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you!!! Thanks!!!!

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.