Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » sleeping problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sleeping problems
ladyc20
Neophyte
Member # 24117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyc20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but it seemed okay. I feel stupid for talking about this, but basically, I'm having trouble sleeping/being in a certain area and I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.
It's not so much the staying asleep, it's the getting to sleep...ever since I've come home from college I've had trouble adjusting to sleeping in my room. At school, I shared a room and slept by a window which faced a main street, and I got used to hearing cars go by/street noises at night. Now at home I sleep in my basement and, though it's 'fixed up' with 2 other rooms, it's still very quiet and cold-ish down here at night. I can't deal w/the extreme quiet and just the feeling of being down here at night sometimes gives me the creeps.
It's not helped by the fact that I have an overly active imagination, and even though I know my house is safe, it's become more difficult to be down here. I've begun sleeping upstairs on my couch even, but I'm getting sick of it. I thought about turning music on or something, but I'm not sure if that would help.

Any suggestions from people who've dealt with this or something similar?

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i came back from college, i was pretty disoriented in my own house.

so you like a little noise when oyu sleep. so do i. here's an idea: slep with a detuned raio on. just get some white noise in the room, the sound of static. putting on a regular station or turning on the tv isn't as good of an idea because your brain tends to follow along to songs and dialogue, and that keeps it active, and all the activity is gonna keep you awake.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, aromatherapy can be a viable way of encouraging sleepiness. Lavender essential oil is reasonably priced, and is very good for insomnia. Other oils, like frankincense and jasmine are good as well, but be careful, because many essential oils need to be diluted before applied to the skin, so read up on them carefully.

Alternately, many places like the body shop, Bath and Body Works and the like will sell lavender scented lotions and gels for that purpose.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe also a lavender spray may help. One that you can spray into your linen closet and into your room so that it settles on your bed clothes. I find it helps me settle after a stressful day. Also maybe putting on some music very quietly so thats its barely above a whisper might help with the problem of it being too quite. Make sure there are no lyrics as this can disturb you but some relaxing music can sometimes help too.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferrisbuellerismyhero
Neophyte
Member # 24586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferrisbuellerismyhero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i use a sound machine and take some tylenol PM
Posts: 2 | From: janesville, wi, usa | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyc20
Neophyte
Member # 24117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyc20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the comments! I didn't check back for a while so it was good to have some responses. I've since tried turning on the classical station when I go to bed, putting it very quietly, and it does help a lot.
Also, I just started working so usually I'm pretty tired & it's not so bad. thanks again!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BritPixie
Neophyte
Member # 24658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BritPixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know whether this reply is too late. But I also have had problems sleeping, at University and at home. I tried using Valerian root tablets, which are a naural herbal remedy, and although they made me a bit drowsy they didn't totally zonk me out. I then tried Nytol tablets, which you can just get from chemists without a prescription (in the UK at least), and they totally helped block out everything else so I could concentrate on getting to sleep.
Hope this helps

Posts: 9 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timichanga
Neophyte
Member # 25025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timichanga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I do is put on my headphones and listen to some really soft and slow music. I'm not saying listen to classical or something you might not like, but make sure it's a cd or short playlist that you absolutely know by heart. You should literally be able to sing it in your sleep . . . your brain will remember the lyrics, melodies, and song order and will fall into a routine. Having something familiar and comfortable will help you relax ^^

My personal "nighttime music":
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
As quiet as my iPod can go
No repeat, no shuffle

*blushes* I can hardly get to Lonestar before I'm out ^^;

Posts: 11 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.