Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » he hit her

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: he hit her
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
my friend was in an abusive relationship where the bloke hit her alot and he raped her once and got her pregnant (she lost the baby at 16 weeks). recently she told me that her NEW boyfriend (who seems to be alot nicer than her ex) slapped her across the face. i thought that knowing her history and such he would never be so daring as to slap her or lay a finger on her in the wrong way.

however it appears he has. she asked me for advice the other day and i didnt know what to say to help. i suggested that if shes scared he'll do it again she should get out of the relationship.

do you think he will hit her again? and what can i tell her and how can i help her?

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who hits once is far more likely to do it again than someone who never hits. And it really is that simple.

It's not, sadly, uncommon for people who have previously been abused or battered to wind up with abusers again.

A slap across the face is a very deliberate attack. Whether or not she's scared it'll happen again, it'd be a good idea for her to move on. They're simply no good reason for anyone to stay with someone who slaps them, even once. Period.

(Did your friend have any sort of counseling after the last relationship, or a support group for battering survivors? if not, that'd be a good idea.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
well i took her to councelling after she lost her baby and she talked through everything then. i spoke to her earlier and told her what you said and she immediately called the guy and finished with him. just have to wait and see if she ends up back with the guy.

i hope she doesnt.i'll talk to her about more councelling and stuff too

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you can show her this lovely checklist http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000698.html and have her score her relationship based on those criteria. Some people know hiting is abuse, but it doesn't really occur to them just how bad the situation is until they see all the xes checked off in a row.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zander
Neophyte
Member # 23420

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Zander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW... if i were you, i would tell her to stand up!!! dont take that stuff and she doesnt deserve it. she is probably a very nice girl and we are all sencative beings who NEED love, and care, she is a person with feelings too!!!
and if i EVER saw a guy hit a LADY i'd show him how it feels to be slapped around.
im sorry but my mother was abused by my father whom i dont see any more so i get very emotional when i hear that. just advise her to be strong and dont take that, and if she is really in a fix she should visit a local Teen Help Centre or something like that... Good Luck

Posts: 28 | From: Hamilton | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RUDeelite08
Neophyte
Member # 23364

Icon 10 posted      Profile for RUDeelite08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was in two abusive relationships (as classified by that checklist) and its true that you are more likely to go for someone thats abusive if you have already been abused...my only advice is to tell her to get out and stay out...please...

------------------
*Contraceptives should be used at every conceivable occassion*

Posts: 37 | From: Spotswood.NJ.USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 10 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
well she's stayed away from the second bloke but she ended up back with the first bloke who abused her. and no matter what i tell her she wont leave him. she says things are better this time. but it can only be a matter of time till things go back to how they were right?

ive tried to talk to her about it over and over again and all she does is dismiss it as 'things are better now and he knows he can control it' but i dont know if he can control it. im just so worried for her.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.