Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Give Advice...HELP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Give Advice...HELP
SoCuriousGurl
Neophyte
Member # 23153

Icon 5 posted      Profile for SoCuriousGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi...i love giving people advice and i think im prtty good at it!! i want to start my own chat room so i can help others with problems, how could i do this?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are plenty of different avenues you can take.

if you wanna help us here at ST, you need to read all the articles and understand the material very well. once you have absorbed this info, lurk around the ST boards for a few days and listen to how the moderators talk. get a feel for our tone here and what is okay ot say and what's not okay to say. Then start chiming in with your two cents. Relationships is the easiest forum to start in because it doesn't require any knowledge about health or biology.

If you want to have an advice column, it helps to become a contributing writer. Does your local paper have a youth section? If so, contact them and see if they want any contributors. I used to write for my local paper, and got paid $20 per article. how about your school paper? They might like an advice columnist.

And if you want your own website, you can build one, buy a host and domain name, then start advertising. Dreamweaver is a popular program for making webpages. Some places have templates you can build from. As far as hosting, there are plenty of cheap hosts. You will need to pay a monthly fee, though. There are some free hosts like Geocities(Yahoo!), but you have to put up with their advertising. As for domain names, they can cost about $30 per year. Many places sell them cheaper, though. And advertising? Yahoo! is free to list, Google allows paid links.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natasha Lockhart
Neophyte
Member # 23648

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Natasha Lockhart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, try writing general columns first. Pick a topic and write a page about it. Get several of those built up, and start contacting websites who are looking for columnists (there are dozens of sites out there that are similar to this one, and they all have about the same content).

It might be more attractive to be an advice writer (people send you letters and you respond in a column), but that's a very difficult field to get into (I know from experience). Instead, take a look at the issues people want to know about, and write about them.

If you need help with website/graphics design, hosting, administration, and such, drop me a line, I've been building websites since the first web browser was written

Posts: 8 | From: Harrisonburg, VA USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.