Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » HPV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV
greeniewatcher
Neophyte
Member # 8687

Icon 4 posted      Profile for greeniewatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I've been on various boards at certain times.

I've been sexually active with only one person.

I was hit heavy with news today, regarding my sexual health. I've had STD tests, and an HIV test, and a Pap Smear. When I had my STD test about five months ago, they said I was homefree. I had the Pap Smear about two weeks ago, and the results came back that I had an abnormal one. I figured it was something normal--because I read in a magazine (SELF) that it's common to have abnormal Pap Smears.

Today though, when I went to the gynocologist for the first time. A man, who I've never met before (my gyno) told me that I have HPV. That was a little over three hours ago, and the news has not fully hit me. I called my boyfriend, and he said that he's sorry. I want to end things with him because I'm just very confused right now.

Can I get this from using one of my sisters bathing suits? Does it have to be from sexual contact?

I feel like this huge burden has been pushed on my back. I always wanted to wait to have sex--19 seemed like an appropriate age. I had sex the first time when I was 17 with my current boyfriend, and I am 18 now. I have been completely faithful to him, and he swears that he has been faithful to me.

I know this is awful for me to ask for sympathy and advice, because I am the stupid one who did not use a condom all times. (I was confused about the term 'safe sex' I suppose.)

If anyone could e-mail me back or respond, I would be greatly appreciative. I am sorry this is so long.

Posts: 11 | From: WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greeniewatcher
Neophyte
Member # 8687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greeniewatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I thought I was on my message, but I left a reply to someone about one of my parents. I didn't mean to--you can delete it. Please delete it actually. My reply went something along the lines of:

My parents don't know that I am sexually active, and I don't want them to know. But, because of this STD, should I tell them that I am sexually active? Should I tell them that I have this STD? I know they will be disappointed, but I don't know if they should know.

Posts: 11 | From: WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HPV is not going to be spread by bathing suits. Sexual contact -- almost always genital-to-genital -- is how it is transmitted.

Safer sex is consistant latex barrier use AND behavioural aspects AND annual or semi-annual screenings for all partner. So, if you didn't do those things, yes, you increased your risks. But cut yourself a little slack here: even with those things in place, HPV can still be transmitted sometimes. Moreover, anyone with only one partner can contract an STI. It only takes one.

In any event, yes, chances are pretty darn high this came from your partner, who either had HPV before he met you, or who contracted it from another partner during the time he was with you. In terms of your relationship, unless there are other reasons you want to terminate it, it might be worth discussing these things, especially if your partner did have other sexual partners before you and was monogamous through your relationship.

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greeniewatcher
Neophyte
Member # 8687

Icon 5 posted      Profile for greeniewatcher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miz Scarlet or any other sex educator... I need to know if I should tell my parents. I feel like I should, but I'm leaving for college soon. I'm so confused.

Any help now would be good help. Thank you for your last response.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not knowing you, your parents or the kind of relationship you have, it's hard to answer that for someone else.

In terms of any concern to their health, there isn't any. Again, HPV isn't passed through casual contact, so if you're sking in terms of what you might put them at risk of, there's no need for concern in that area.

So, whether or not you tell them is really about whether or not you want them to know, and if you want support from them with this.

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.