Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I'm terrified over nothing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm terrified over nothing
lithium
Neophyte
Member # 17238

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lithium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This will be kind of hard to explain, because it sounds really weird.

Well, for a few months now, I've been very paranoid that my boyfriend is going to die. He has diabetes (sp?) and he started smoking at a very early age. He has broken almost every bone in his body before because he does a lot of crazy things (stunts, mostly--I told him that it concerned me a lot, and he stopped and liked that I didn't want him to.)

I'm so scared he is going to leave me... and I've been up every night worrying myself literally sick. I've even started praying every single night because I feel like it's a last resort. He is in pretty good health right now though, which confuses me because I have no idea why I'm like this. I mean, I cry my eyes out every night begging God not to take him; that's not normal...

Well, today he got very sick and passed out at work. Now, as you can imagine, I'm going nuts. He sounded terrible on the phone, and I can't calm down. I have never been like this about anyone. I think it's partially because I love him with all of my heart. I've never loved anyone before, but I have lost a lot of people I care for. I know I shouldn't worry, but I am. Anyone else relate?

[This message has been edited by lithium (edited 07-16-2004).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illuminatedmind
Activist
Member # 17190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for illuminatedmind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't exactly relate. I worried about my first girlfriend a lot though because she was into a lot of stuff she shouldn't have been into and she dropped out of school in ninth grade, so I was often very concerned.

I do know very much what it's like to worry in general. And my grandmother had diabetes, I also have a friend that's diabetic.

I tend to mix up hyper- and hypoglycemic. I think hyperglycemic is when you don't have enough sugar in your system, and it sounds like that's what your boyfriend may be. My friend who's that way gets light headed if she doesn't eat at certain times so she has to keep track of those things. But just so you know, diabetes can be very manageable as long as you keep track of things.

Smoking is a hard habit to kick. Some tips I learned for quitting are to dissociate things you do with smoking. Examples are meals, a lot of people have a hard time quitting because they're so ritualized into smoking right after doing something, like eating. I've also heard that caffeine is bad when you're quitting and carbs are supposed to help.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to someone about being worried about your boyfriend? Believe me, talking is the easiest and sometimes the most reliable way to get keep you from worrying and make you feel better about a situation.

The other thing you could do is really sit down to your boyfriend and talk to him. tell him you're worried about his smoking habits and his diabetes, and what could happen to him. There are plenty of quit help lines all over the U.S to help peope stop smoking. And while there is no cure for diabetes, there are plenty of precautions and ways for him to check himself and keep himself healthy.

You can't control what he does or doesn't do (smoking, extreme stunts, etc) but you can show him that the people that love him are worried about him.

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.