Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I feel like I've ruined everything

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I feel like I've ruined everything
marcyleecorgan
Neophyte
Member # 16973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcyleecorgan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Ijust found out last week that I have HPV/genital warts. I am completely freaking out.

Cervical cancer runs in my family, so I know I'm going to get it. I'll be going to the doctor every six months now, but are they gonna be able to "catch it" in time?

& I know who I got it from,(I'm still dating them), and I had another partner (who I'm pretty sure has it now). I feel awful. I had no idea! & I have ruined everybody's life...

Like, if I'm still dating the guy I got it from, since we both have it, there's no way we can protect ourselves further through condoms and the like, right?

& the other guy, now any other relationship he has, he's going to spread it. & I'll prolly give it to my baby if I choose to have children. & I'm just contributing to the statistics of more people getting sick and ruining *their* lives. There's no hope of any of us being clean again. *sigh*

So how am I going to cope with all this?

Posts: 5 | From: Murray, KY, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's scary, but here's a fact from the National Institutes of Health:

quote:
Most HPV infections do not progress to cervical cancer.

You're doing absolutely the right thing by getting regular Pap smears, and while there are no guarantees, that should help your doctors spot any "danger signs" as early as possible.

quote:
now any other relationship he has, he's going to spread it.

Not necessarily. If you let him know that he's been exposed to HPV, then if he's been infected (he may not have been), he can choose to be responsible. That means telling any partners about HPV in advance and being scrupulous about safer sex (which can't provide 100% protection against HPV, but can help reduce the risk of transmission).

quote:
& I'll prolly give it to my baby if I choose to have children.

It is possible for HPV to be transmitted during pregnancy and birth, but that's actually thought to be rare.

quote:
I'm just contributing to the statistics of more people getting sick and ruining *their* lives. There's no hope of any of us being clean again.

Your life has not been "ruined", and you don't need to be "clean", because you're not "dirty", okay?

The statistic is that nearly three out of four Americans between the ages of 15 and 49 have been infected with genital HPV in their lifetimes. It's a really common virus.

So try to keep that in mind - it's a virus, not a sentence of doom.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plainmaryjane311
unregistered

Icon 12 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A little comfort, hopefully...
I've had cancerous cells lining my cervix for over a year now. I have what is referred to as CIN-I cervical dysplasia, that is, the lowest detectable cancer of the cervix. It is easily treatable with minor laser surgery (known as the LEEP procedure) or by freezing off a section of the cervix. Having this done will not prevent you from having children, if you intend to, and just to calm your nerves a little more, it generally takes cervical dysplasia between 5 and 10 years to develop into full-blown invasive cancer. Meaning all you really need are more frequent pap smears (every 4-6 months rather than once a year) to monitor the progress.

This, of course, is IF you even develop cervical cancer. And FYI, just because you have HPV doesnt mean you are going to get cancer.

------------------
Heidi A. Durst

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.