Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Self mutilation and suicidal thoughts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self mutilation and suicidal thoughts
Gothicgurlie
Activist
Member # 16336

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gothicgurlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok,
Here is the problem, I have been depressed for a very long time. Not a physicians diagnosis just my self obersvation. I started cutting myself about a year ago and couldn't stop.But soon it got to a point that I wanted to kill myself.But I soon told my parents about it and got in trouble for something that I couldn't help.But soon the feeling went away. But now it is almost the end of the skool year and the feeling is starting to come back again. It's like it's just itching to get out but part of me won't let it. I feel happy one minute and then feel like I'm about to hang myself in the girls bathroom at skool. But I don't wanna feel that way anymore. Can you please help me!!! I'm just so tired of it. If I went to a conselor at skool they would send me straight to the pysco ward and then tell my rents and then I would get in more trouble!! Please PLEASE !!!! CAn you tell me what to do to stop this!!!!

Posts: 77 | From: Roanoke,Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweettweet22
Activist
Member # 15787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweettweet22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well...to start off, you aren't alone (so don do anything stupdi...if you know what I mean)-do you have an older brother or sister? if yes, then you can tell them (if you trust them), and they can try to get you a counsoler (outside of scool)...that's bout all I can tell you (sorry if it's not helpful)- maybe one of the staff (like logic or miz scarlet) can help you more

------------------
I'm so confused- I scare myself~ "y do we luv the ppl that HATE us, and HATE the ppl that luv us?"

Posts: 99 | From: FL | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have talked to your parents and told them how you really feel (like a sit down talk, not a just in passing kinda conversation), and they aren't getting you help, it is time to seek help else where. I am not saying your parents are 'bad' or anything, simply they probably don't understand how you feel, and how much you need help. Do you have an older sister/brother, aunt/uncle, family friend that you are close to could confide in?

Is there a teacher at school you can confide in? How about your doctor? Both your teacher and your doctor are legally obligated to set you on the path of healing, be it through a referral to a therapist, or just plain getting you help. At least here in canada they are. Suicidal thoughts are not something to be take lightly, regardless of whether they go away sometimes or not. Telling a teacher or your doc that you have suicidal feelings (feelings of wanting to kill yourself) or self-mutilation feelings (wanting to hurt yourself) will get you help. The other option available to you, depending on your age, is to go to your local emergency clinic. Through first hand knowledge, I have found that the emergency department is sometimes the fastest and best way to get someone with harmful thoughts help. Every emergency department (at least in ontario, but I imagine it is north america wide) has a psychiastrist on call. You can present yourself to the emergency department and just say 'i need help'. You will get it.

The other option that is available to you is your local crisis hotline. Just about every city (or nearby big city) has a crisis line (some are 1-800 numbers). Look in the first few pages of your phone book for the phone number. The people who staff these lines are good liseners, compassionate and understanding. They are usually open 24/7 and would now where you could seek help.

Asking for help, my dear, takes a lot of strength, I know, but there is help out there for you. The important thing is for you to get help NOW, not later.

If you are in immediate crisis I urge you to call 911 and get help now.

[This message has been edited by Insane (edited 01-24-2004).]

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fools_2
Activist
Member # 16351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fools_2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell your friends and maybe get a theprapists. Friends help and same for therapy. Tell your parents that you need their help and you shoulldn't get in trouble by them, tell them your whole story and maybe your parents can help too.
Posts: 61 | From: i come from a land down under | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisygurl
Neophyte
Member # 16569

Icon 9 posted      Profile for daisygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there i just wanted to offer to be here if you need someonme to talk to i am 27 years old and have been a self mutilator since i was 9 years old. I too thought of suicide many times and got in trouble by my parents and selfmutilation thoughts are not controllable by your self you need support. sorry, for personal safety, we don't allow users to contact each other via email

[This message has been edited by Gumdrop Girl (edited 02-02-2004).]

Posts: 4 | From: Sacramento,Ca,USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girlie*
Activist
Member # 5257

Icon 10 posted      Profile for girlie*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went through stages in high school where I was quite depressed, and I felt like I had tried everything. (the reason that i like this site is because eveyone is entitled to their own opinions, so thanks
I didn't find happiness until i found God. The power of prayer is amazing. I have switched churches and it has made an outstanding difference in my life. Just give it a try...

Posts: 118 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
girlie, remember that some people don't believe in God to begin with, okay?

I appreciate that many people find help and support in their faith, but for some of us, that's not an option.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lxkilljoyx
Neophyte
Member # 15555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxkilljoyx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, logic_grrl, some people don't believe in God or a specific religion or even any religion at all, but she was just trying to be helpful. Im assuming here that what you said implied that her advice wasn't helpful/useful/whatever. But in actuallity, its kinda like any other kind of advice. It's kinda like saying to a kid who goes to a bad school to talk to their teachers about something like this when their teacher dont care at all for the students. Even though thats unlikely, it IS possible.

I don't like it when people try to force religion down other people's throats, but I also don't like it when someone is hushed because they offered religion as a way of coping. Maybe it'd work for gothicgirly (sp) or maybe it won't. either way, it's advice regardless that it's a religion. Religion, after all, is just a <i>belief</i> system, just like believing in teachers and therapists and parents is.

No offense, if any taken.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
girlie*'s perfectly welcome to talk about the support she's gotten from her faith.

But my point is that telling other people to "Just give [religion] a try", without having any idea what their personal beliefs are or aren't, isn't always going to be helpful or welcome.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most important thing is for Gothicgurlie to seek professional help. If you attend church then your pastor/minister/rabi/spiritual guider can be of great help. However, if you don't go to church, or aren't comfortable talking to him/her than it is important for Gothicgurlie or anyothers to seek professional help. Feelings of wanting to hurt or kill yourself are not feelings that should be taken lightly, or hoping they will just go away. There is no shame in admitting you need help. The important thing is to seek professional help in any form you are comfortable, immediately. And this goes for anyone out there with suicidal or self-mutilation thoughts.
Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnderTheBridge
Neophyte
Member # 16889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnderTheBridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God is the only person that you can get any real help from
Posts: 13 | From: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you'll read logic_grrl's comments a few posts above, you'll see that without knowing anything about someone's belief systems, it's really unsound to recommend faith in God as a blanket cure-all (which is why we don't strongly push it here).
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnderTheBridge
Neophyte
Member # 16889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnderTheBridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off I didn't say faith in God. Second, who in the world said God had anything to do with religion? Thirdly, how will you know that God can't help if you ignore him your whole life.
Posts: 13 | From: Fairbanks,Alaska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

quote:
Second, who in the world said God had anything to do with religion?

Believing in the existence of a God is a religious belief, by definition. And it's not one that everyone shares.

Telling people that they can only get help by believing in the same thing as you, or that they're "ignoring God" if they don't, is religious proselytizing, and it's not okay round here.

I happen not to believe in the existence of God. But if I started replying to people's posts about their personal problems by saying "You can only get help by giving up your belief in God" or "get a copy of this great book on atheism", I imagine you'd think that was pretty offensive and disrespectful of their beliefs, right?

So it's not okay for you to push your personal beliefs on other people either.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.