Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Prozac

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prozac
keiths_angel_19
Neophyte
Member # 14381

Icon 7 posted      Profile for keiths_angel_19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been depressed lately so my mom took me to a counselor, they put me on the so called " happy drug " and I was wondering is there anyone else out there who is on it....any info you'd like to share, ya know does it really help, do you like being on it or what. Thanx.

Abby

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have clinical depression, Prozac is an effective anti-depressant (it's also used to treat some other disorders, such as OCD and anxiety disorders).

But (like most medications) it doesn't work for everyone, and some people find that the side-effects they experience - such as headaches or jitteriness - are too severe for them to continue taking the medication.

It may take several weeks for both the benefits and side-effects to "kick in", so don't expect instant results. If there are problems, you may need to talk to your doctor about changing the dosage or trying different medication, or coming off medication altogether.

And it's an anti-depressant, not a "happy drug": it can prevent you from being depressed, but it can't make you happy or stop you from feeling sadness.

(Personally, I've proved on many occasions that it's possible to be a cynical, grumpy, and sometimes downright miserable person while on Prozac).

If your depression is partly or entirely due to stresses and emotional problems in your life (rather than originating in your brain chemistry), it's important to remember that Prozac can't fix those (although it may act as a "safety net" to help you take action to deal with those problems).

If what you need is counselling or therapy, Prozac can't subsitute for that.

And even with depression or anxiety that's purely chemical in origin, there are lots of things that can help in addition to medication, from meditation and yoga to cognitive-behavioural therapy.

So personally, I'd have to say it bothers me when some doctors seem to adopt the "you're depressed, here's a prescription, go away" approach.

Some other threads about Prozac and related drugs:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000290.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000011.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000268.html

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take Prozac (generic brand) as well. It really works for me, but of course not for everybody. Try it for several weeks and see if it's for you. =)
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.