Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I'm new here and I'd like your advice please.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm new here and I'd like your advice please.
blue02rsxs
Neophyte
Member # 15914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue02rsxs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has taken me over five and a half years to talk about my feelings and because I can't afford counseling right now, this is where I shall post my feelings. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and advice.

My name is Tara and I'm almost 25. I am moving to Nashville soon for a new job offer and I'm fairly excited about that. I have a lot of great things going for me including a great family, supportive friends, and a great educational background (master's and bachelor's). I am considered beautiful, outgoing, happy, intelligent, compassionate, and full of life by others and I agree with them. But while I am happy now, I am starting to feel the way I did years ago. On March 27, 1998, I was raped by someone who I didn't know. I lost my virginity to him and my pleas and my resistance were ignored; I was too weak against him. I contracted an STD from him and for nearly a year after the attack, my world fell apart. I was depressed for almost a year but I snapped out of it one day. It was like looking in the mirror and thinking, "What are you doing to yourself?"

I have had so many failed relationships. I have had two boyfriends cheat on me and two that would not touch me below the belt. I cannot tell you how devastating that is to someone's self-esteem though I'm sure many of you know first-hand how I feel. In February of 2002, I decided to have intercourse with a man and that, to me, was my first time (and only time thus far). He was very patient and compassionate and he knew what happened to me as well as the consolation prize I won. Heh. Ever since we went our separate ways (and before then), I have had a lot of trouble in relationships. I was afraid to become sexually involved but now I'm not... as long as the man is willing to work with me slowly and accept everything about me. All of the guys I've dated and told the truth to say they accept it but it is their actions that speak the truth. By not touching me and by cheating on me, I'm really afraid to get close to someone now.

I have met someone amazing and I really like him. If we become close enough that I think we'll become intimate, then I will have to tell him what happened to me. I have several fears though. First, he is a police officer and I have never been to the police about the rape before. Hindsight is always 20/20 and yes, I do wish that I had gone to the police years ago. Even if he accepts the rape, will he accept the consolation prize I received from it? I'm so afraid that he won't. He made a comment on one of our dates that makes me wonder and though I have always run away when I hear a comment I don't like (referring to an STD or rape), I didn't run from him and I don't want to.

I have made so many poor decisions in the past 5 years. With the exception of the man I decided to sleep with last year, every single guy I have dated has been beneath the standards that I have set for myself. I know that sounds hoity-toity but what I mean by that is that I feel like good-looking and intelligent men with phenomenal personalities won't be interested in me. Instead, I go after the guys who I think will accept what I have to say and if they don't, well, then I don't feel as bad for being rejected. Here is a man who I'm crazy about and he's everything that I want and more. It's taken me almost 6 years to realize it but I think I do need to seek counseling for what happened and for the STD that resulted because I don't know if I am truly ready for anybody until I try to talk about my feelings. Because other than my journal, no one knows how I truly feel inside. Though I've touched on my feelings in this post, I have not really expressed my feelings of shame, guilt, and fear.

I am a walking social stigma and I hate it. I need to deal with it because I would like to have a shot with this man, provided he is that special kind of guy who can accept me for all that I truly am.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks for listening.

Tara

[This message has been edited by blue02rsxs (edited 12-14-2003).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be really helpful for you to find some sort of couselling that is affordable.I think that would help you alot because from what you've posted you've been through a very hard time and I think some counselling would really help you.

About your new boyfriend. I think you should be comfortable telling him about your past because it's only fair to him to tell him about the STD you contracted, but it would also bring up the fact that if you tell him and it doesn't bother him as much you can tell that he obviously is worth being with, and is a good guy.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.