Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I think my new friend had an eating disorder

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I think my new friend had an eating disorder
Member # 13854

Icon 9 posted      Profile for paradijs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an eating disorder, and I see myself when she talks about herself. We were eating lunch (just us) and she complained about how fat she was again. Since she always does, and I've never seen her eat, I started wondering if she had an eating disorder. So I asked her how much she eats and she said 500 calories a day. I heard that you have to have at least 1200 calories, so does that make her anorexic? I only ate 4 Saltines (60 calories) a day so I don't know. I also told her that if she is, she'd either end up dead or wishing she was. If so, I'm definitly going to tell her parents because no human being should go through the hell of anorexia/bulemia.
Posts: 32 | From: Roanoke, VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having an eating disorder isn't just about how many calories you do (or don't) consume.

Some fad diets involve very few calories per day - they're certainly very unhealthy, but not necessarily a sign that everyone on them has a diagnosable eating disorder.

But your friend's intake is certainly unhealthy and dangerous. The general recommendation from doctors seems to be that teenage girls need at least in the region of 1600 to 2200 calories per day, more if they're involved in sports or other physical activity.

It might be a good idea to try to talk to your friend about your worries. You can explain how unhealthy it is to try to live on that little nourishment, and that her behaviour reminds you of yourself when you had an eating disorder. See how she responds to that, and if she's able to listen to your concerns.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.