Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » what can it be?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what can it be?
shining eyes
Activist
Member # 8741

Icon 5 posted      Profile for shining eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend was diagnosed with depression a few months ago and is still depressed. She tells me that when she gets upset or enters a Church, she sees (in her head) a girl in a white room laying in a puddle of blood and sometimes the girl even demands her to "cut herself." She also tells me that she has a horrible feeling someone is stalking her and planning to rape and kill her; she checks every room for danger 2 times before entering it, I am going to tell her parents, but is this really serious? Oh yeah, her Grandmother was Schizophrenic. Could she be?
Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schizophrenia is thought to have a genetic factor, but that doesn't mean that someone will develop schizophrenia just because a grandparent had it. Sometimes intrusive thoughts and images can be associated with anxiety disorders, or severe depression, or any number of other things, and there's no way anyone here can take a guess at what the cause might be in your friend's case.

It certainly sounds as if your friend is in a lot of distress, though, and I'd say she should definitely see a doctor. Is she getting any therapy and/or medication for her depression? Could she talk to the doctor or psychiatrist who diagnosed her with depression about the problems she's currently having?

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 05-10-2003).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shining eyes
Activist
Member # 8741

Icon 5 posted      Profile for shining eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She is taking an anti-depressant and has been for a while. She is also going to therapy one time a week. I told her she really needs to talk to her doc about it and this is what she said, "I can't. As soon as I tell them I'm going crazy again, I'll go back to the hospital." And again I pushed her to tell and she told me that she couldn't stand seeing her mother's disappointed face once again. But she's really starting to worry me.

logic_grrl, you said "intrusive thoughts and images can be associated with anxiety disorders, or severe depression" so do you know why that is? Can't she control that? Sorry for all of the questions!

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shining eyes
Activist
Member # 8741

Icon 9 posted      Profile for shining eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone...?

I guess I should come clean and admit "my friend" is me.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what you need to do, sweetie ... Same thing you've been telling your 'friend' to do. Talk to your doctor.

These images and thoughts aren't easily controlled, and sometimes require medication, so you really need to discuss this w/ your doctor.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you feel that you are in no danger of harming yourself or anyone else, but you have a doctor who is likely to put you in a hospital against your wishes if you tell them about this, it might be worth trying to find a new doctor. Better to find a new doctor who is willing to work with you with hospitalization as an absolute last resort, than to just keep all of this to yourself in order to not be put in a hospital.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.