Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Scratcher

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scratcher
ragadyanne400
Neophyte
Member # 12558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ragadyanne400     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always feel really lame saying this ... but I guess I'm a scratcher - not a cutter just a scratcher. Well maybe not. I've suffered from clinical depression since about 3rd grade, and about 7 months ago I was going through a really tough time and I started scratching up and sometimes burning my arms to just feel something. I only did it about 10 times and then I quit cause I saw it hurting my boyfriend so much. The problem is I still feel the urge to do it almost everyday, and I felt like it actually helped me. It got rid of some of my emotional pain and made it easier for me to function the way I want to. I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who suffers from this ... or someone who could help me stop wanting to do it (I'm by the way being treated for depression).

------------------
I have a very 'Can-you-start-my-orange?' approach to life ~ Janeane Garofalo

Posts: 15 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey,

I am not an expert or anything, but my friend used to cut herself at times. WHat I would suggest you to do, as a friend, is to do other things. THere must be something you really like, some kind of sport, or painting. Do a great deal of that, if is often the best pain killer and keeps your mind away from worries. Hang out with friends and surround yourself with people you love and feel loved!
Don't stay alone. Loneliness doesn't really help at moments like this
Hope everything improves!

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twiceagainyesterday
Neophyte
Member # 11180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twiceagainyesterday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a scratcher. I know exactly what you mean. I scratch every class, and I have six classes a day. It feels like it gets rid of my pain and my feelings of failure, but I knew it wasn't okay, so I'm trying to stop. I know exactly what you're talking about.

I asked all my friends to go onto 'scratch watch'; I'm going to start seeing a psychologist soon.

If you're being trated for depression and are seeing a psychologist, bring this up and they can help you more fully. If you're on medication and that is your treatment, get a reference to a psychologist, please.

I'm trying to stop on my own, because I likely won't be able to see a psychologist for a month. I try to picture the pain i'm causing my friends, which stops me from acting it out, but doesn't stop from the wish to do it. Because I still wish to, I'm going to see a psychologist soon.

Good luck, ragadyanne, and I hope you stop very soon. Tell a medical professional, if you haven't already, please.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ragadyanne400
Neophyte
Member # 12558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ragadyanne400     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on meds and I see a therapist once a week. But I see her in a group setting, I have brought up that I was scratching, but I need to see my therapist personally because I don't want to use up the group time with this problem.

Leni - I've only got one really hobby and that's ametuer web design ... but if i do that for any extended amount of time I just get this hopeless empty feeling. I think that the suggestion of hanging out with loved ones is an excellent suggestion. The only problem is there are alot of people I love but only few who when I'm with them actually make me feel loved. I don't exactly have a high friend count - there's maybe 6 people at the most that I actually hang out with and all of them are really busy, plus only two of them know that I was scratching.

I'd like to point out that I don't scratch now - but the only reason is my boyfriend. I know it hurts him alot. My problem is that I still want to, and I feel like it helps so it's hard for me to see it as an "all evil" thing. And what happens if I break up with my boyfriend, he's my reason for not doing it and if he's removed from the situation than I'll feel totally fine doing it again.

twice again - why is it going to be so long before you can see a professional about this?

------------------
I have a very 'Can-you-start-my-orange?' approach to life ~ Janeane Garofalo

Posts: 15 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twiceagainyesterday
Neophyte
Member # 11180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twiceagainyesterday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ragadyanne- good that you're seeing a therapist, and I suggest that you try to get a private session quickly. Try talking to your therapist immediately after the group session to set the ball in motion.

If you and your boyfriend break up and scratch again, think about your other friends who care.

And I know about the low friend count, and all your friends are busy; and the thing about people you love, but you don't feel loved by. Been there, still there. Send e-mails; chat, telephone if you can't actually see them. Write letters to them by hand and mail them. Do whatever you want to do to keep yourself from scratching.

Also, why I'll only be getting help in about a month: I'm going to my family doctor to get me a reference, and the consensus is that there may be a couple more sessions with my family doctor before she decides what to do, plus trying to get an appointment at a good time for me with the family doctor, and then the psychologist may take time; and long story short I'll probably get an appointment in a month.

Good luck, ragadyanne, I wish you the world.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends.
No matter how few they are, one person can make you feel good So don't worry about lowcounts, I was usually one with few friends because we moved a lot and I couldn't see my other friends often, but there are special people out there, we just have to notice them, and they'll bring joy to our lives even in the darkest times

Hope you feel better soon!

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.