Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Hit Hard- Suicide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hit Hard- Suicide
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night, well 3 am today, me and my friend had to call 911 over our other friend. After drinking, he started slitting his wrists, and trying to kill himself.

We had to hold him down, and he wept so hard- he didn't want to die. There was just so much pain inside him. We got him into the hospital, and they released him this morning (my feelings on that are irrelevant)

And yet, now, I can't seem to shake that feeling- I'm really down and easily upset. And I don't understand why. He's "fine" now.

I rrealized how easily human life can be compromised- but I don't think that explains this feeling. I honestly feel liek I'm going to be sick, and I tried to sleep (you'd think it would be easy after being up all night) and I can't.

What's the matter with me?

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing's wrong w/ you sweetie ... You're upset, and you have every right to be.

I don't understand how your friend could be "fine" now; he's likely not. Is he on any medication and seeing a therapist now? I was put in the hospital for 10 days after THINKING about suicide ... And i didn't even try it. It boggles my mind that your friend could be out this fast. Anyway ...

Do you have anyone outside of the siutation (in person) that you could talk to? Sometimes it really helps to talk about this stuff ... w/ someone objective, and w/ someone who knows your situation.

Let your friend know that you're there to listen if he needs someone to talk to as well, but don't force him. He's likely got enough to think about right now ... Just offer support, but try not to overwhelm.

As well, my email is listed w/ my name at the top of this forum (where it says who the mods are, click on my name and it'll give you my email address), if you ever want to talk about it.

*Big hugs*

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was furious they let him out so early- apparently the doctor was tired (at 4 am! her admission)
I asked what they were going to do so that it didn't happen again. They said well if it does, we're here. Which I find a deplorable way to deal with it, but hey, I'm not the doctor.

See, there isn't anybody I really talk to OUTSIDE the situation, because a) I'm normally a very closed person, so there's only 3 people I would normally get into ANY type of feelings-thing with: 2 are involved directly today, and the other has i) tried to do it herself in the past, and ii) and has been a spectator so many times before, so this is just all normal now, and b) this is just the wierdest feeling- I want to be with people, because I just want to feel "normal" but I also need to be alone. It's very confusing.

I just feel like I can't snap out of it- and face it, I'm not the one who did this, so I really SHOULD be!It's driving me nuts.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it sounds like it was a pretty traumatizing thing that happened and you have every right to feel upset about the situation. Just give it some time to let yourself feel better and to try and get over your feelings of being upset. It only happened yesterday so that really isn't enough time to feel better about it.
If you want to be with people then just find someone you are close with, be it a family member or a close friend or whatever that you can talk to and confide in, but if you feel like being alone, then that's fine too, spend some time alone with yourself somewhere where you feel comfortable, that you can take time to think.

I know I'm not in your situation and I really don't know exactly how you feel, but I hoped I helped a bit, and good luck with your friend and I hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know exactly how you feel except that with me its completely different. My friend was really depressed and she was going to kill herself. I was able to talk her out of it, but I was so scared the whole time. I felt realyl guilty because I didn't go to anyone. I kept thinking that if I went to see someone I could save her. Luckily she didn't kill herself, but i know what its like to havea friend who almost commits suicide.
Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

you'd thinnk i would have learned.......
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

so THAT's what "Clear Fields" does... <cringe> I'll start over.

He gave up drugs and alcohol for a while...3 weeks I think. But once he went home for Easter, he started right back up again. It was slightly better when he came back here, and I knwo he's been through AA and NA before (apaprently his chapter's youngest member) but he gave it up LONG ago.

But he's back home for the summer now. He's drunk himself to passing out every single night since he's been home. Every single one. For a week and a half. That's where he is right now.

He says he's just having fun- but I'm worried. He's always been a heavy drinker, but this is starting to have me seriously questioning. He's 20 years old (last january).

britt0285
Activist
Member # 11036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt0285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may sound like a poor solution but maybe you could convince him to stay over with you to just hang out.

It may sound really ridiculous but maybe just spending extra time with him to keep from getting drunk would help him to get out of his depression.

Sometimes it helps if someone makes an extra effort to help. It shows that they really care about you.

Posts: 87 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.