Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Freaking out in social situations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freaking out in social situations
twiceagainyesterday
Neophyte
Member # 11180

Icon 9 posted      Profile for twiceagainyesterday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the title says, I'm freaking out, scared, in social situations.

A little background information. Typical geek girl, ostracised often, kept inside forcibly a lot due to overprotective parents. I pretty much have five or six friends.

Now. A while ago, I noticed that when I was in groups of people, I would just freak out, get scared. I would want to leave immediately, would be afraid of staying any longer, would become afraid of my friends speaking to me. In groups of one or two, not often. Much more, and it would just be too much. Even with really close friends, it would happen.

Now, it's carrying over into school. I avoid people, I'm afraid of people joining in in conversations with me. I speak, then immediately regret it because I know any social situation I could get into would turn out horrible for me.

I go to my room immediately after school, because the people at school, the social situations... I need to be alone.

My friends don't really notice. I made sure to try to hide it... I think it might be a fear of them treating me negatively in a group, but I'm not sure.

Recently, I thought of what might happen if I was invited to go with a bunch of friends somehwere, at all. I was so upset by the thought I cried.

I just need an opinion on all this. I really don't know what to do anymore. I'm confused and need help with this.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered talking to a counselor about this? Worth a thought. Anxiety in social situations isn't uncommon and can be treated.

In the mean time, I've found that it's best to discuss this with your friends and others you spend time with. If they know what's going on they're likely to be understanding if you need to leave the conversation for a minute or don't want to go to a party. If they know how you feel they can be supportive.

Not aggravating the situation seems to help too. Instead of eating in the crowded lodge at work I either take my meals into our office or out on the usually empty deck. Little things like that make it easier to deal with the things you can't avoid.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BananaBoatSC
Neophyte
Member # 12348

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BananaBoatSC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey girl, I totally know what your going through and it stinks! I'm not the geek though- I am the typical blonde haired cheerleading captain and I have lots of friends but the problem your describing doesn't discriminate. It is called Social Anxiety Disorder and it cripples you when you get in social situations. I found out about my problem and went to talk to a psychologist about it- they will then either prescribe you medicine for it or counsel you until they feel they have brought you past your fear. It's a normal problem so don't be ashamed to talk to someone you trust about it. If you want to learn more there are many books addressing it.
Hope everything works out for you!
~Hannah

Posts: 28 | From: Columbia, SC, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.