Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Anger managment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anger managment
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this could be somewhere else, then by all means move it.

I have a problem. Lately ive been getting very depressed, very confused, and more and more, really angry. And i dont know why. BUt im going crazy i feel like. Ive never been like this before.What do you do to calm yourself when you feel like every minute you just CANT breathe and want to be destructive and yell and curse, and everything just is getting to you?..
And pelase dont recomend baths, althought they are nice, they dont last long, and i end up just crying in there, and when i get out its back to my world that i just cant handle right now for some reason. I am sad and confused, and angry about EVERYTHING in my life, and im afraid it will start to hurt my relationship with my guy. Cause he doesnt understand either.
I just need a way to calm myself down, calm my nerves.
thanxs

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest releasing that tension. Hard, physical activity is solutely great for that. I find that when I'm boxing, for instance, any anger I've been carrying around often gets a really effective and quick release.

But I'd also suggest that if you have anger coupled with depression that you consider seeing a counselor, especially if, as you've described, you're feeling like you "can't even breathe every minute." That sort of thing suggests some pretty intense anxiety, depression or an emotional need. A counselor can help you figure out where that is coming from so you can deal with it most effectively, whether it's chemical or situational.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have been working out harder, but that doent help.
And i felt like i needed a councler, and that thought makes me scared and nervous, and i dont know where to go to find one. The last councler i saw at school told me if i could get over my brother possably dieing (he had hotchkins at the time)..she said if i could get past that then i could get ast anything. That was not a good thing to say to a crying girl.
I have found a place where i can take yoga, would that really help?

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 03-21-2003).]

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yoga is wonderful for relaxation, yes.

But it doesn't take the place of therapy, if that's what's needed, no.

In terms of finding a therapist, that depends. if your family has health insurance, you can likely find one through your plan that's covered. Community centers or youth resource centers in your area can also be a good start, as can the phone book.

It may well be that you can get past anything after that kind of hardship, but it doesn't mean you never need help or support in doing so, and one can't comppare coping with one tragedy to dealing with other things in a quantitative way like that.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Ive been up and down, but mostly down. And when im down, its pretty deep. I dont know what to think or how to feel about anything going on in my life. A counsler could be helpful, but i donno. I dont think my parents would want to get back into the whole "counsler issue"..yes it has been an issue in my family awhile back, i dont think id want to get into such a deal...maybe i just need more time to clear my head, but its really hard most of the time. Im in a very bad slump, and sometimes i see no ways out. And when i used to think of things i could do that would bring me back up there, even those dont feel the same anymore. This is dumb, there are more important things going on, like the war, and death, and this is just a ridiculous phase im passing through unfortunatly once again, and i need to just deal and get over it.Its all in my head, i need a new perspective, a new state of mind. I donno...
Heather
Member # 3

Do understand that some depression is chemical, meaning you can't think your way out of it, or change things in your life and expect it to dissipate.

If it's chemical, you can make all the changes in the world and it can still stick around.

In a word, chemical depression is an illness that usually requires specific diagnosis and treatment, be that pharmeceutical or nutritional. So, if that's what it is -- and a therapist is a person who can best determine that -- expecting to change your life and have it go away is a bit like expecting to change one's life as a diabetic and have diabetes go away: it just doesn't work that way.

Yes, this could also be situational, but it also might not be. That's why checking in with a therapist, or even your doctor, first, is always your best bet.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

I guess i should just add on to my existing thread, its been a while tough, and i thought i was better...
I think i am manic depressive, i was depresed years ago, and it got a lot better, but now its coming back a lot worse, and i get upset over things really easily. Well heres a lot of things, but i beleive theres something really wrong. And i do get better, and feel fine, and one minute im loving everything, the next i hate everything and i get sad and angry, and even bitter, and all these bad thought appear and i end up torturing myself thinking of them.
I dont know what to do though. I cant go to my mom about it, shed prolly yell at me or say "i thought you got over that" or start asking me a million questions about my life, or she will try to find one thing in my life and start picking at it, and explaining to me why its not that bad, when she couldnt be more far off...i just need help here, im going insane, and my guy doent know what to do...i dont know what to do...how can i go get help without her?...no school counclers though, they never helped, i dont need a councler...i dont know what i need. I dont know how to just make an apointment somehwere and all the other things when im still dependent on my parents.

[This message has been edited by blond ambition (edited 03-28-2003).]

blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

I did what i was supposed to and added on my last thread, but no ones looked at it..
i need more help......

Heather
Member # 3

Blond, why don't you note what city and state you're in, and I'll have a look for drop-in centers or community resources you can start with?

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Blond, why don't you note what city and state you're in, and I'll have a look for drop-in centers or community resources you can start with?

I live in Hanford CA.

coldplayer
Activist
Member # 12431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coldplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i feel similar to how you do quite frequently recently, but also want to avoid my mum worrying. i'm thinking about going to my school counciller, but i'm not sure yet, (i'm nearly 15)
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a_c_munson
Activist
Member # 12477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for a_c_munson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly I want to say recognizing you need help and getting it is a sign of strength not weakness!
Secondly school councilors are great but they are not doctors.
If you have medical ins on the back of your card should be a number to call to find out where you can get help.
no ins no problem.
The kings county mental health should be able to point you to a need based program 559-582-4481 is the phone number for them.

Posts: 94 | From: plymouth,mn,usa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say try writing in a journal, that always helps me when I'm really upset, I can just get all of my feelings down on paper, and it feels like I've gotten it all out of my system. Also try signing up at a gym and sign up for a boxing class (if they offer it) I know at my gym they offer boxing classes and it seems like it would be great for releasing alot of tension that builds up, plus it's good for your health and strength.

Also, have you talked to your parents about your depression? If not, you really should if you are feeling that you are manic depressive. If you tell your parents they can find you a good counsellor and it can really help and benefit you. I've been to a counsellor before and it really helped (until I stopped going) I started to wish I hadn't stopped going, but I wasn't totally honest with her, and that kind of screwed things up, so it seemed like I didn't really need a counsellor anymore. So I guess that's just another piece of advice if you do get to see a counsellor be as honest as possible, because then they can help you better.

[This message has been edited by celery (edited 04-07-2003).]

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.