Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » My partner tried to kill me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My partner tried to kill me
KevMez2002
Neophyte
Member # 10629

Icon 9 posted      Profile for KevMez2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this might end up being kinda long for please for give me, a few months back my partner tried to kill me by suffocation and raped me during the process she did this because i was too tired for make love and she wanted to make love, I tried to forget about it and carry on but it's always been in my mind ever since we are no longer together and for some reason i miss her, well i do know the reason its cause i still have feelings for her, but when i think of her I think of what she did, i've told friend and family but they don't say anything no words of encouragemetn just say "i told you so"

It really bringing me down and i'm not sure what i can do about it

Posts: 6 | From: Rotherham UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest with you, you do not forget about rape and attempted murder. That is just never going to happen. Probably not for the whole of your life, and certainly not over a couple of months.

Nor do you even consider getting back together with someone who did such. In fact, you need to call your local authorities: if she did this to you, she can do this to others.

And Kev, I feel pretty confident with how long you've been at Scarleteen saying that you really, really need some support and counseling. I'm sure we've suggested it before, but I truly suggest it now, for a handful of reasons.

One, rape victims need that support to be able to work through it and move on. Two, I'm conncerned about your menttal health and well-being if you still have romantic feelings for someone who did these things to you, because that honestly confounds me. What it says to me is that the troubles you've had in the past with self-esteem and with understanding that you get boundaries hasn't gotten any better and it may well be putting you in harms way (and likely has -- I know that when this relationships was beginning and going on, many volunteers and users posted urging you to terminate this relationship and look out for yourself when you'd noted other very negative experiences and warning signs, and clearly, you either wouldn't see them or didn't want to, and that's a problem).

So, please, please get some real-time counseling ASAP. I can't urge you to do it enough.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevMez2002
Neophyte
Member # 10629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevMez2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand what you've said and I do plan to get some counselling, I have recived counselling in the past and to be honest i don't really know if it helped me at all maybe it did in the short term.

When i said i had feelings for her I didn't mean like Love more of a longing for the good times we had and wish it never happened, me and my partner are no longer together anymore, due to what happend and things were getting worse and i was afraid it happening again.

What makes it so hard to speak to my doctor about getting her is simply because i'm male and you don't hear of male rape that often.

but i guess this is the first step to coping with it ??

[This message has been edited by KevMez2002 (edited 02-28-2003).]

Posts: 6 | From: Rotherham UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Male rape is less common than the rape of women, for numerous reasons, but that does not mean it doesn't happen, by any stretch of the imagination. It very much does happen.

Some of why you don't hear it that often though, is that while sadly few women report rapes, fewer still men do, and reporting is essentially not just for you: it's a help for everyone long-term in getting things out front where we all can see them. It's a way of being able to have cases to address so that more people can realize that men do also get raped and sexually assulted (and domestically abused), and so that issue can begin to really get addressed.

Here's some info for you: http://katesfeminist.info/rape/male/

Counseling usually is about what you put into it. So, if you refuse to hear things or really deal with issues, a therapist can't wave a magic wand and fix them. It's often hard work and sometimes painful, but most of the work is yours. And based on your history Kev, I'd say there are quite a few things in your tenure here you just really have yet been willing to address and handle in a healthy way, so I'd give it another shot.

I'd start not with your doctor, but with a rape counselor or hotline. You'll note on that link above that there are a heck of a alot of local resources there for your use.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KevMez2002
Neophyte
Member # 10629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevMez2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say thank for that link it's really helped me, there was a site in uk not too far from me that had a lot of usefull information and people had sent in there experiences and how they delt or are dealing with it.

I am more clear on why it so important to get help now, so i don't suffer later.

Again Thank you so much

Whatsthatmommy
Activist
Member # 7869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatsthatmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
once again i learned somthing. Thankyou.

------------------
Get close to your friends, but closer to your enemies.

Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.