Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Question...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question...
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 5 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was ten I weighed around 100 pounds.I see 15-years (one year older than me!) say that they're around 100 pounds.I'm not too sure how much I weigh now, but I'm scared that I gained more weight.Is 100 pounds for 10 obese?I don't have a scale at my house anymore, but I'm sure I weigh more than 100 pounds now.It just scared me when I was looking over a post and a girl one year older than me weighed 100 pounds, and I weighed that when I was 10.Though, I may have lost a little weight because I had an eating disorder for a little while.I'm really freaked out.Should I go on a diet?When I was ten, was I fat?Girls 5 years older than me weighed the same as me when I was ten!!!That's just freaky!Grrr...sorry this was such a long post.
Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah there chicha!

Has your doctor ever told you that you are obese? That your weight is hazardous to your health?

If the answer is no, then I can definately assure you that you are NOT obese. So what if you weighed 100 lbs at age 10 and somebody else weighs that at age 15. Do you suppose that you have the exact same body type that they do? Bone structure? Bone mass? Genetic makeup? Probably not. So why in the world should you care what somebody who's 15 weighs?

The answer is that you shouldn't. No, you don't need to go on a diet. Frankly, dieting is a load of crap. Your body will carry the amount of weight that is healthy for it. The only reason anyone should feel that they need to lose weight is if they are patently unhealthy and their weight is threatening their health. And if that's the case, then they need to be monitored by a physician.

Dieting is generally unnecessary, useless, and bad. A healthy lifestyle, however, is good. Eating healthy, balanced meals, and getting appropriate amounts of exercise will keep you quite healthy. And if you're treating your body well and taking care of it, then whatever weight you are is the weight you were meant to be. Who cares what that is in relation to other people? If you don't feel like you're healthy then ask your doctor about what you can do to become healthier. He/she can suggest a healthier diet (or refer you to a dietician) and an appropriate and safe exercise routine (or refer you to a personal trainer).

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you are reffering to the "weight problems?" post. This was posted by someone who says that "I'm 15 and only weigh 100 pounds". Note the word "only". They are not suggesting that this is the most normal weight for a 15 year old, therefore its perfectly OK for you to weigh more than 100lb.
Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
persephone801
Neophyte
Member # 12100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for persephone801     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the average thirteen year old should weigh at least 125, and that is not a health department figure which is more... that's life experience figure. a 100 pound ten year old is very normal, just about average weight, which also depends on your height and fitness. the taller you were, the less weight means cause you have more bones to weigh and to lay fat on, plus muscle weighs more than fat. so , theoretically, a fitter, slimmer, healthier person can weigh more than someone who still has a little baby fat ( which you should have a ten considering you probably weren't into puberty at full swing yet) plus, diets kill your metabolism, making it harder to loose weight and be healthy, excersise does the reverse, it speeds up the metabolism so that you can eat more and still lose weight if you excersise.
Posts: 29 | From: Okieville, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gladys
Neophyte
Member # 11551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gladys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you were obese, you'd know.

I'm 21 and weigh about 100 pounds, but I'm short and have small bones. Your friends aren't abnormal or sick - a lot of girls are very skinny at that age - but they'll probably put on a bit of weight as they get older.

Don't worry too much about your weight. If you feel okay, you probably are.

Posts: 10 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.