Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Weight problems?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Weight problems?
Disco_Hippie
Neophyte
Member # 11697

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Disco_Hippie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am VERY obsessed with my weight! I'm 15 and only weigh 100 pounds. I feel sick all the time. I the problem is that I eat,just not the righ things.Like I will eat Ramon Noodles in the morning lunch I will eat crackers and cheese and when I get home I will eat Ramon Noodles and I usually eat either a bowl of cereal or 4 slices of toast.Last night I eat 2 and pieces of pizza which makes me feel better because I eat alot! My question is do I have a eating disorder? I'm a picky eater could that be my problem? Do i need to go on a See Food DIet what ever I see I eat? My friends are worried about me and my friend Felicia say's that she is really REALLY worried about me. I know I have a problem (I admitted it ) My BESTeST friend Michael (ex-boyfriend) tries to make me eat more at lunch but me being a stubberion (sorry for spelling) person like I am I won't.. Do you have any advise?
Thanks BUNCHES

------------------

SAVE THE DOLPHINS

Posts: 17 | From: Fairdealing | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janedoe101
Activist
Member # 11340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janedoe101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be really picky on what i would eat, but then i realized...no matter how much I weigh, my friends will love me. I am 15 as well, and I weigh 130, but i am only 5'3" i bet you are taller, and thinner. I say you get some grub! Food is good for you. It tastes good, it gives you potential for muscle...so many good things, including energy! If you don't eat you will turn into a blob of paste If you want to be thin the right way, why not eat nutritional food and work out?
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does sound like you have an ED at work, honey.

I'd suggest you talk to your doctor and get a referral for a therapist specializing in eating disorders, or see if you can't get a referral via a school counselor.

Trying to self-treat eating disorders doesn't usually work, because (as you seem to know) it's just not as simple as trying to eat more when your mind just won't let you do it and doing so puts you in a tailspin of anxiety. EDs are very dangerous -- they can have lifelong ill health effects, some of which you may already be experiencing.

So, don't wait. Go and get some qualified help ASAP.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam007
Neophyte
Member # 2121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think just about everyone has something negitive to say about their body. As sad as it is to say, it has become the norm. But with you being SO obsessive about what you eat and weigh, I strongly urge you to find someone that knows more about this then anyone here will. Just remember, your friends are your friends because they like you... not your weight.

------------------
Take my eyes take my heart I need them no more
If never again they fall upon the one I so adore
Excuse me please one more drink
Could make it strong cause I dont need to think
She broke my heart my Grace is gone
One more drink and Ill move on

Posts: 17 | From: NH | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disco_Hippie
Neophyte
Member # 11697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Disco_Hippie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody.Yep your right i am taller and skinny.I think the reason why I don't eat alot is because I'm picky.Like I won't eat homemade hamburgers.I will eat McDonalds and Burger King burgers,but I won't eat the ones my Mom makes.I got to talking with my friend and (her mom is a nurse) she told me that I just need to put aside being picky and eat eat and for a change of pace EAT some more..SO what i have been doing is every 2 hours eat.I think it is helping.I don't feel as bad. Because ever since I wrote here I decided to do what my brother is doing.He is 24 or 25 and weighs like 125 so like every 2 hours he eats,and it is working for to gain weight.
[b] Thanks alot![b/]

Posts: 17 | From: Fairdealing | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Hippie!

What you are describing sounds exactly like my situation was (and to a certain extent, still is). I totally know where you are coming from!

Miz S was dead on when she suggested you work with a therapist, but your last post seems to indicate that you are still trying to "self-treat". That is always, always a bad idea. Please get yourself some professional help. While you are increasing your food intake, it may not be the right tactic for you to pursue, and indeed, if this

quote:
Originally posted by Disco_Hippie:
[B] Like I will eat Ramon Noodles in the morning lunch I will eat crackers and cheese and when I get home I will eat Ramon Noodles and I usually eat either a bowl of cereal or 4 slices of toast.Last night I eat 2 and pieces of pizza ...[B]

is what you are eating, that is indeed a problem, because it is grossly unbalanced. Carbohydrates are important, but too much is unhealthy. So, if for nothing else, please at least see a professional to help you correct your dietary habits.

Finally, if you are forcing yourself to eat to the point where you become sick, that may well be a sign to stop. I too did that, simply because everyone pressured me to eat. But what I now know is that I am meant to be skinny. I looked at photos of my mom and grandmother, and they were both waifs like me. When I finally got myself to a dietician, she told me my BMI was fine - I was meant to be the shape I was. Some people are just predisposed to be on the lighter side, and trying to gain weight can actually be unhealthy.

So - the bottom line is for you to check all of this out with a dietician. We can only give you suggestions (and yes, the best on is to see a professional), a qualified person will help you to correct your eating habits so that you are eating for your best health. Good luck!

Rose-Anne

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 02-03-2003).]

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
miss_hive
Neophyte
Member # 10202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for miss_hive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey gal.

I suggest you talk to your doctor, and start eating more healthy foods and less ramen.

I'm 5'3, and I weigh 120. I was hovering around 125 recently but I went to an anti war march last month and lost the 5 five pounds from walking. I try not to focus on my weight because it's not what's important.

I eat as healthy as I can, but I don't deny myself cookies when I want them, because that would just make me miserable.

I hope you get everything sorted out.

-miss hive

Posts: 28 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by miss_hive:
I went to an anti war march last month and lost the 5 five pounds from walking.

Now, that's the sort of exercise plan we can appreciate.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disco_Hippie
Neophyte
Member # 11697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Disco_Hippie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have posted this topic I hav gained 2 pounds.YEAH! I was talking to one of my friends and she has the same thing I do.What her mom (A Nurse) told her and me to start doing is to worry less about our wait and eat more heathyer!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.