Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression?
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I didn't see it anywhere...

I think that I may be depressed...but most of the descriptions I have seen of depression describe gloomy feelings lasting two weeks or more. My problem is mood swings. Bad ones. But that last between half a day and two days, usually. And besides when I'm PMSing (which I can identify really easily) I'm really not the sort to go randomly off the deep end. This has been happening badly for at least the past semester, and to a lesser degree fora bout the past year...I'd say that it was just because this is my first semester of college, but I haven't gotten gloomy when I've been stressed - almost the opposite, in fact. And life here is really wonderful when I step back and look at it. Sometimes I'm upset over specific things, and that's fine, but yesterday, for example, I was irrationally gloomy over no discernable subject, and that gloom kept until Latin class, which cheered me up...also for really no classifiable reason. Anyway, does anyone know if there could be some sort of medical reason for my emotions suddently resembling a sine wave? I think I'm going to talk to one of the college counselors eventually, but due to my schedule this week, it's not likely to be for a little while.

Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only if you count adolescence and young adulthood as a medical reason

I just finished my first semester of college too, and boy was it stressful! I went through a whole bunch of ups and downs, was moody, teary, and really hard to deal w/ sometimes. This can happen whenever there's a change in your life ... Or even when there isn't a change in your life. It's completely normal for people go through ups and downs.

The general rule of thumb for symptoms of depression to last 2 weeks or more. These can include, a change in appetite, change in sleep patterns, and feeling 'depressed'.

If this is something that is really bothering you tho, there is no reason why you couldn't go see your doctor about it. S/he can check you for depression much better than we can.

Another thing to keep in mind ... Its important to have coping stratagies. What do you do when you're 'moody'? I find curling up w/ a good book and a blankie works for me, but that took a bit experimenting to find out. Do what works best for you. A time out in general is usually needed to get your thoughts in check, and really figure out what it is that's making you so upset.

Here are some links you may want to check out; http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000038.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000010.html

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.